VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Buddy Holly (the 1958 album)

Author:
Dale (true master tapes?)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon April 08, 2019 19:40:38

Hi All

To my shame, I only recently learned of a 2017 (200 gram!)
reissue of the classic 1958 Buddy Holly album.

This time the label is "Analog Productions".

It sounds like a very nice presentation with "tape to lacquer" mastering, meaning not digitized.

The most exciting possibility of this release is that it may just be mastered from the first generation reel as spliced together and sequenced by Norman Petty's own hands.

In other words, not the 1958 safety copy that would have been sent to Coral.

Short of examining the source tape myself, that will remain an open question.

I open it to everyone here who may own a copy to share their thoughts regarding the audio richness of this latest pressing, particularly when compared to a nice clean 1958
original, or the 1995 180 gram "Heavy Vinyl Series" edition,
which I own.

I would like to know how either of those editions compares to an original, in true mono.

If you have read or heard of any article or video that may clarify the veracity of the all analogue source for
the new edition, please post the link here.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.