VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Jimmy Page

Author:
Roddy Jordan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon April 22, 2019 17:20:57
In reply to: Frank 's message, "Re: Jimmy Page" on Wed April 17, 2019 03:05:10

When I read this post it brought back some very pleasant memories.

When I was nearly 19 a mate and myself had been in Nu Zulland for about 14 months just touring around picking up jobs here and there, going to gigs and having fun at dances and chasing girls. If they breathed, we chased them!

In January of 1967 Geoff and I were in Wellington (the capital) and we were very pleased and surprised to see that a touring show featuring Roy Orbison, The Yardbirds, The Walker Bros and a fantastic local band named Larrys Rebels were to play.

We were lucky enough to secure tickets in the bleachers where all the poor people were plus plenty of girls.

The Rebels were again fantastic as we had seen them before and they played an instrumental called 'The Cruel Sea' and it is easily the best version I have ever heard even though another local group Ray Columbus and the Invaders also had a version out.

Next were The Walker Brothers. What can I say it was a disaster from start to finish. The lead singer (Scott Engel) would not come on stage as the announcer said that he was feeling very introspective that night and could/would not perform. Now this was 1967 folks and I had no idea what introspective meant but was ok when John Walker took over the vocals. He was stunningly good.

Next came the group I went to see - The highly underrated Yardbirds.

The Beatles all over the world were getting the media hype but this group was live and had one of the best guitarists ever to grace a guitar in its midst. The incredible Jimmy Page.

Just before the tour started Jeff Beck had been fired from the group for alleging being a naught little boy.

Anyway, they played all their incredible hits 'Still I'M Sad' was one and when they played 'Shapes of Things, You're a Better Man Than I and Evil Hearted You' the place was magical. Page absolutely tore that place apart and I thank the Good Lord for allowing me to see him there that night. What a show!

Then followed Roy Boy and in contrast he just stood there in black and that voice! What can I say?

You can keep your Beatles etc I will take the Yardbirds anyday.

Meanwhile we were still chasing girls and eventually I became heavily involved with a local French Teacher but my brother in Australia was getting married and rang me to ask me to be his groomsman. The girlfriend was not happy and I left NZ to go back home and you would not believe it while I was back home I received my call up orders. Americans call it the draft.

Never did see that girl in NZ again.

So I journey back and at the wedding the Best Man for a joke played a song for my brother for the outlook on marriage. He played 'Still I'm Sad' by the Yardbirds!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Jimmy PageFrankTue April 23, 2019 03:10:31

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.