VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:34:42 01/14/11 Fri
Author: Ned Depew
Subject: Re: Censored forum
In reply to: Anne Gorfinkle Schneider 's message, "Re: Censored forum" on 03:37:49 12/30/10 Thu

>Rena, not sure what you wrote about Bud Stillman, but
>I can only imagine! Sure, he was a great English
>teacher, but he was a dirty old man who took advantage
>of his female students. All it took was one ride in
>his VW Bug to know that he was a lecher. He didn't get
>an inch from me. His cigarette stained teeth that
>looked like they would fall out if he sneezed were
>revolting, as was he... but I knew several girls ( one
>in my class)who had affairs with him. Can't understand
>why he was never caught. Richardson had to have known.
>Shameful. Hope you don't delete this Ned. Anne
>Gorfinkle Schneider '64

Anne -

this went by a couple of years ago. I exchanged e-mails with Rena and told her that I didn't think this was the place to post unsubstantiated accusations against anyone - faculty, students or others.

I too heard rumors about Stillman's behavior, as well as the behavior of at least one other teacher, but rumors - even persistent rumors that are widely repeated - are different from established facts. Stillman is dead, and can't respond to such charges, so it seems unfair to post them, unless they come from a first-hand source.

I'm not removing your post because it's based on your own first-hand experience. I credit your report that: "All it took was one ride in his VW Bug to know that he was a lecher." as being true of your experience.

I'm less comfortable with your assertion that you "knew of several girls who had" - as opposed to "were rumored to be having" - "affairs with him." Second-hand testimony is difficult to accept in the case of charges as serious as these.

It's not unimaginable that a teen-aged female (or male) student might report a fantasy involvement with a teacher on whom she/he had a crush as "real," even to friends and classmates. It has happened. Of course, it's sadly also not unimaginable that a teacher might abuse the position of trust and authority to take emotional and sexual advantage of students. That has happened too.

Without incontrovertible first-hand testimony it doesn't seem fair to me to put such allegations in print, on the web. I'll leave yours for now, but I hope you'll consider and edit your post to remove allegations of which you don't have definitive, first-hand knowledge.

Meanwhile, good to hear from you! I remember you well. I hope the years have been good for you.

Cheers,

N

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Re: Censored forum -- Rena Blumberg, 20:26:00 06/07/12 Thu

Prep-School Predators
The Horace Mann School’s Secret History of Sexual Abuse
<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/magazine/the-horace-mann-schools-secret-history-of-sexual-abuse.html?smid=fb-share">http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/magazine/the-horace-mann-schools-secret-history-of-sexual-abuse.html?smid=fb-share</a>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.