VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:06:45 02/12/12 Sun
Author: Ellen Lockwood Powley
Subject: Attended Scarborough 1954-1957, class of 1963

Yes, I remember you, Marcie, Ned, and many others. I was in your class, grades 3-6. I played the French Horn, so perhaps you remember me in that way. At any rate, I do recall many memories of Scarborough School, especially wandering the Beechwood estate and jumping the brook! After graduating from Pleasantville High School in 1963, I graduated from the Eastman School of Music. Eventually I received my doctorate in Educational Leadership and Foundations and taught 30 years at Brigham Young University. During the process of writing my dissertation on educative curriculum in small schools, I became interested in the educational theory that shaped our learning at Scarborough in the primary grades. It was a very progressive approach. I still have the school year books from those times, but fortunately I do not look like the pictures of me in the 6th grade! Yes, Marcie, I have fond memories of your fun birthday parties. I'm not sure how many people check this site, but thought I'd post. Ellen Lockwood Powley

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Attended Scarborough 1954-1957, class of 1963 -- Ned Depew, 09:28:04 04/30/12 Mon

>Yes, I remember you, Marcie, Ned, and many others. I
>was in your class, grades 3-6. I played the French
>Horn, so perhaps you remember me in that way.

You'd think that would be a thing one would remember - especially from a sixth-grader - but no!

I do remember you, Ellen, especially from our hours down at the brook with our lovely fourth grade teacher - whose name sadly escapes me at this moment - readings of the Oregon Trail with Mrs. (I.M.P.) Price, and that difficult sixth grade year with our teacher (Mrs G...something...?)who was going through a lot of stuff in her own life - again, her name is not there at the moment - but I do have the yearbooks somewhere and could look some of it up.

The overall impression that remains with me is of security, stability, acceptance and kindness - things I desperately needed (and all kids need, IMO) especially after the old-school strictness of Miss Daniels. It was a magical place and in my mind and heart still is.

Sounds like you've made an interesting career and life for yourself. Glad to hear it.

Cheers,

N

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.