VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Hemp can spin?


Author:
Craig
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:47:16 12/01/01 Sat

I had the marvelous experience of the hemp on one of my drones, where it meets the stock, spin after practice this week. It took quite a while to get the stock free because everything bunched up and locked, basically, it wasn't my day. My PM told me very briefly to use pitch on my hemp and on the drone to secure the hemp so it won't spin. Fair enough, great advice. One problem, what is pitch? Where can I get it? How do I "pitch my hemp"? The problem with advice sometimes is that no one sticks around to see if you have any questions. Oh well, can you guys help? I used yellow waxed hemp, in case that makes a difference in the answer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Hemp can spin?


Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:15:44 12/01/01 Sat

Welcome to the support group for hemp spinners!! Yes, you are not alone, it happens to most of us and usually at the worst times...like when you're about to play.

Pitch is tar. Normal, everyday tar. You can buy a clump of it most anywhere, and actually you have to ask for it in a clump because I think that is the internationally accepted unit of measurement for pitch. Or you can go out to the road with a pocket knife and scrape some out of a patch or seam in the pavement. And do be careful and aware of traffic!

What the pitch does is make the hemp nice and gummy where it makes contact with the pipe. Hemp that isn't pitched will spin after a time as the hemp bunches all up and begins to move as one. Think of pitch as an anchor. Take your newly purchase clump of pitch and hold it over a lighter until you see a portion of it melt, then pull about a foot of your hemp through it so you see it come out "dirty." The hemp is nice and gummy after this. Then, what I like to do is run the pitch over the lighter again, and then dab it onto the pipe section. I mean DAB it, don't rub it, don't smear it, just get a tiny little dot of pitch on there.

Now, you're ready to wrap. Take your lighter and run a few passes over your dot of pitch on the pipe section till it melts...it'll happen quickly. Then smear that dot with a small piece of paper or anything that can be used as a small straight edge. With that now-smeared dot of pitch still warm (reheat it if you have to)begin wrapping your "dirty" section of hemp in the area where your smeared pitch is. Then continue to wrap your section like normal. If pitched and wrapped properly, that hemp job could last you a couple of years. Take your time and make it perfect once so you don't have to keep wrapping it every other month. Also, rub some bee's wax over the hemp when you're done wrapping. Just helps to seal the wrap better.

I hope this helps, and I apologize if this seems a wee bit long, but there's only one way to explain it. After adopting this practice I have never had pitch spin again. I hear they miss me down at the support group. :) Good luck.

Brian

P.S. It's better to use less pitch than more. You do not want to see it poking through your finished wrap. It will gum the inside of your drones or stocks. When in doubt...use half of what you were going to use.



>I had the marvelous experience of the hemp on one of
>my drones, where it meets the stock, spin after
>practice this week. It took quite a while to get the
>stock free because everything bunched up and locked,
>basically, it wasn't my day. My PM told me very
>briefly to use pitch on my hemp and on the drone to
>secure the hemp so it won't spin. Fair enough, great
>advice. One problem, what is pitch? Where can I get
>it? How do I "pitch my hemp"? The problem with
>advice sometimes is that no one sticks around to see
>if you have any questions. Oh well, can you guys
>help? I used yellow waxed hemp, in case that makes a
>difference in the answer.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Hemp can spin?


Author:
Bruce Wright
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:07:19 12/02/01 Sun

You can also obtain this at most Highland vendors under the name "black wax." Pine tar is often used.

If it happens to you, you may find it useful to try to run a thin blade between the stock and the lower joint and move the blade around the joint to work it open.

If you ever notice that any of your hemp is starting to spin, replace it NOW!! Otherwise you're risking it locking up the next time you put your pipes together (as you found out).

--Bruce

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Hemp can spin?


Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:32:33 12/02/01 Sun

You beat me to it Bruce! :) I recommend, if the joint is really locked, to use a very narrow cake icing knife. Very flexible, thin and no edge to cut into the wood. But still be careful, some things that aren't designed to cut can still cut you pretty good.

Paul


>You can also obtain this at most Highland vendors
>under the name "black wax." Pine tar is often used.
>
>If it happens to you, you may find it useful to try to
>run a thin blade between the stock and the lower joint
>and move the blade around the joint to work it open.
>
>If you ever notice that any of your hemp is starting
>to spin, replace it NOW!! Otherwise you're risking it
>locking up the next time you put your pipes together
>(as you found out).
>
>--Bruce

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Hemping pipes.


Author:
Stormy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:11:32 12/03/01 Mon

Hemp spinning in the stock or drone, or refusing to budge, is simply bad maintenance and we are all guilty of this at some point.
When done correctly and properly maintained this will not happen (but we 're human and lazy).
I use the following method and it has served me well for 40 years now.
1. Completely strip down, clean and rehemp on an annual basis. (twice a year if you play a lot)
2. Remove all the gunge from drones and stocks.
3. Apply waxed yellow hemp or "black hemp" to the area until the wood cannot be seen.
4. Continue with yellow hemp until the required thickness is met.
5. Continually check for tightness, remembering that you do not want to loose air but it should not be too slack.
6. Ensure that when you turn your drones to tune them, the bottom piece does not turn also. This means that the hemp on the bottom of the drone should be a bit tighter than the other areas.
7. Once satisfied take a candle and rub the candle over the new hemp. This provides a waxed covering which should make tuning easier, removal easier and also a certain amount of water repelance.

If you get this right this should last you for several months (6/7) if not longer, depending on how much you play.
After playing all you have to do is a quick check on all drones, chanter and blowpipe and rehemp where needed.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Hemping pipes.


Author:
sonetdog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:27 12/27/01 Thu

>Hemp spinning in the stock or drone, or refusing to
>budge, is simply bad maintenance and we are all guilty
>of this at some point.
>When done correctly and properly maintained this will
>not happen (but we 're human and lazy).
>I use the following method and it has served me well
>for 40 years now.
>1. Completely strip down, clean and rehemp on an
>annual basis. (twice a year if you play a lot)
>2. Remove all the gunge from drones and stocks.
>3. Apply waxed yellow hemp or "black hemp" to the area
>until the wood cannot be seen.
>4. Continue with yellow hemp until the required
>thickness is met.
>5. Continually check for tightness, remembering that
>you do not want to loose air but it should not be too
>slack.
>6. Ensure that when you turn your drones to tune them,
>the bottom piece does not turn also. This means that
>the hemp on the bottom of the drone should be a bit
>tighter than the other areas.
>7. Once satisfied take a candle and rub the candle
>over the new hemp. This provides a waxed covering
>which should make tuning easier, removal easier and
>also a certain amount of water repelance.
>
>If you get this right this should last you for several
>months (6/7) if not longer, depending on how much you
>play.
>After playing all you have to do is a quick check on
>all drones, chanter and blowpipe and rehemp where
>needed.
Never use candlewax always natural beeswax

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Hemping pipes.


Author:
Mike Connor
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:00:32 08/03/02 Sat











Rehemp Bagpipes



Iíve put together a procedure to rehemp your bagpipes. Youíll want to do this on an annual basis, or twice a year if you play a lot. After you play your pipes, do a quick check on all drones, chanter, and blowpipe. Rehemp as needed. Youíll completely strip down, clean and rehemp.



1. Completely strip down the existing hemp.

2. Remove all the grunge from drones and stocks.

3. Apply waxed yellow hemp or "black hemp" to the area until the wood cannot be seen.

4. Continue with yellow hemp until the required thickness is met.

5. Continually check for tightness, remembering that you do not want to loose air but it should not be too slack.

6. Ensure that when you turn your drones to tune them, the bottom piece does not turn also. This means that the hemp on the bottom of the drone should be a bit tighter than the other areas.

7. Once satisfied take a candle and rub the candle over the new hemp. This provides a waxed covering, which should make tuning easier, removal easier and a certain amount of water repellence.



Good luck!




[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Hemp can spin?


Author:
Angus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:49:50 12/27/01 Thu

Plenty of great advice here, but I'll add the "icing" for the cake here:

Twice a year - strip the pipes down, remove all hemp (every joint) and clean the pipes thoroughly. Wipe them down, and use a drone brush lightly (very) with some bore oil. Check the drones (and chanter) thoroughly for cracks, warpage etc. Check the mounts, clean the silver (toothbrush). Now do the same with the bag, check the stocks for rotation, bag for leaks, (synth. bags should have hoses removed, cleaned and checked).

Now that all of the cleaning and checking is done, reassemble each piece.

When wrapping the hemp joints, wrap tightly and evenly using plain yellow hemp: HERE IS THE SECRET - instead of pre-waxed hemps use toilet bowl wax (yep - that big donut of wax, available at the hardware store will last forever!)Start with a bit of wax on the first wrap to (seat it)then dry wrap the next layer, now smear a light coat of wax on, then a new wrap of hemp and so on. Of course keep checking the fit of the drone section and use that to help pack the hemp down. Continue until you have a nice tight (not too tight) drone seal. What you will find is that the toilet bowl wax is impervious (completley) to moisture and helps give the drones that "lock" in place, but which is easily moved for tuning. You can easily add or subtract a wee piece of hemp and wax when needed to make a slight adjustment. If you do a nice clean tight job using this method, you can in fact go a long time without requiring an overhaul but I prefer to do the "strip down" just to check everything is good to go.

This is of course JMHO, but something that works very well for me playing in all kinds of climates and moisture levels.

Good luck!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.