VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Re: How early is too early?

Author:
Kelly
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:44:48 12/04/01 Tue
In reply to: Piping Dad 's message, "How early is too early?" on 10:13:24 12/04/01 Tue

Understand now, this is my personal out look on this.
Getting him a practice chanter...........sure. Why not? He may look at it as a toy, but everything really good is a toy in the eyes of a child that age. But he has seen the respect that you give your "toy" and he will most likely give his "toy" the same respect. Although you might keep a close eye on him to be sure he does not look at it as a toy hammer and start driving nails with it.
He will start by blowing and making all sorts of noise with it, but he will be happy and content with it. After time, you may show him a couple of very small suprizes with it, like showing him how to make the doe, rea, me sounds. At that time you can show him SOME of the proper fingering. Slowly progress as he progresses. And I stress slowly. Always remember that at that age, most things are a game, and most everthing is a toy.
You should not show frustration if he does not pick up on it as soon as you would like. This will turn him off on piping for sure.
Always remember that HE see's it as a game, so play it as a game, and he will learn to play it very well.
Take Care and God Bless. -Kelly

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: How early is too early?

Author:
Jeff Crain
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:54 12/04/01 Tue

I'm no expert on this but I do have kids this age. Anytime they show such desire, I try to fulfill it. You never know where their passion will lead.
Several chanters are made in children sizes. My daughter uses one. So, I don't suppose the chanter will be an issue. However, I am a little concerned about what will happen in a year or so when you move him up to the pipes. That may be another issue altogether. I feel confident that no matter what the naysayers tell me, there is enough talent out there to assist with the fitting (reeds, bag, etc) of pipes to a child this age. But you and I will cross that bridge when we get to it. Go for it!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.