VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Cheap pipes

Author:
dan Abel
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:38:46 02/26/02 Tue

Hi people, I am a leaner looking for a cheap set of pipes to start with....desperate ..consider anything, can anyone help?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Cheap pipes

Author:
Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:44 02/26/02 Tue

>Hi people, I am a leaner looking for a cheap set of
>pipes to start with....desperate ..consider anything,
>can anyone help?

What ever you do, DO NOT get a "cheap" set of pipes. One reason why many of us got into piping is because of the love of the sound. You cannot get good sound from a cheap set of pipes. Unfortunaly, nothing comes cheap in piping (my wife will attest to that). You will be much happier in the long run if you bite the bullet and save your nickels and dimes and buy a good quality set from the getgo.
Good luck. -Kelly
P.S. what is your idea of cheap?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Cheap pipes

Author:
dan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:42:52 02/28/02 Thu

>>Thanks Kelly and Piperdown, unfortunatly I am a single dad and financial resources are always strectched to the limit.
If I could hang on to a cat long enough I would run with that.
Sorry I have a terrible sense of humour, anyway I could proberly muster up about $500.00.
I realise I am dreaming however someone might have an old set out there, which I could do up at a later date, who knows.
thanks people, keep an ear out for me.
Regards, Dano...

[> Subject: Long live tupperware!

Author:
PiperDown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:49:19 02/26/02 Tue

Great inexpensive starter pipes with a surprisingly good sound: Dunbar P3 polypenco pipes. Yea, I know they're tupperware but they are virtually maintenance-free and the drones are quite nice. I played mine for the first few years and no one was the wiser that they weren't blackwood. Drawback - not very high resale value; depreciate like a Yugo.

[> Subject: Re: Cheap pipes, more stuff from a thrifty piper

Author:
Brian G. Slater
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:00:12 08/17/02 Sat

Hi there, Are you still wondering? or ...just let this advice go to anyone in same boat.

Do not buy a "cheap set of pipes!" You will be making a big mistake. Beginners should pratice continually on a practice chanter, get a good teacher (harder than it seems) and keep practicing and saving money for your eventual purchase. Even the "best" old and used pipes on e-bay need upgrades, (reeds, bag, bag cover, cord) and can add $100.00-$200.00 to what seems a deal at $500.00 to $700.00 set of pipes that retailed for $1200.00 plus tax 2 years ago.

The only good thing about buying a cheap set is that you can play around (season, adjust, ream, fiddle with) them and gain experience without much fear of a major financial loss if you goof up.

When you are ready to progress to a set of pipes buy quality. They will last a lifetime and afford a lifetime of satisfaction.

[> Subject: Re: Cheap pipes

Author:
Bruce Wright
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:33:51 08/23/02 Fri

I basically agree with what's been said, though I would try to make a distinction between "inexpensive" and "cheap". (For the latter read: cutting too many corners in order to cut costs). Dunbar does make some good inexpensive poly pipes; Peter Crisler supposedly does as well but I have no direct experience with his products so I can't comment. There may be some others. Stay away from the pipes made in various Asian countries - few of them are much good.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on a used pipe but this is not something that a beginner is going to be able to do on his or her own - you need to know what to look for to avoid costly mistakes: pipes that can never be made into playable instruments, or pipes that will require lots of work and expense to make them playable. Yet another place where having a teacher can be invaluable.

Best of luck,

--Bruc

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.