VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Re: How early is too early?

Author:
Brian G. Slater
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:25:27 08/17/02 Sat
In reply to: Piping Dad 's message, "How early is too early?" on 10:13:24 12/04/01 Tue

Hi there,

I think that 5 is a great age to get a child on the practice chanter. Just keep using your practice chanter and treat it as a music intrument that is just like your childs. Get one that tunes to the same pitch and you can practice together, play harmony and just have fun.

Transcribe some children's songs and make it fun.

I have an 11 y/o daughter. I got her a violin at 4, guitar at 4, piano at birth. Basically she grew up around music. We don't force it on her. It is just there. If she never is a professional that is fine but she always has a song in her heart and that will be with her when I am long gone.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: How early is too early?

Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:19:23 09/26/02 Thu

At this point, his finger size is probably the biggest issue in regards as to when to get him going on the chanter. If his fingers are long enough, get him started on the children's PC. I know a lot of people talk about children's attention spans and how they get bored quickly...yada, yada, yada. That child will keep with it as long as he feels he is spending time with you. Don't make it seem like practice or learning to him, make it seem like it's part of the day where he and his dad hang out and spend time together. The child will look forward to practicing because it means more time with you, his dad. And if he's too small for the PC yet, then include him in everything. Show him how to hemp, how to work a chanter reed, how to tie-in a bag...anything. He may not care or even remember it all, but he'll remember he had a good time with his dad. And when he gets older, all his memories about the bagpipe will be good ones, and subconciously he'll want to play just because something inside of him feels good about it.

Brian.

>I have a five year old son and he sticks to me like
>glue whenever I play...he loves the bagpipes. I want
>to teach him but at what age do you start? He
>expresses a real interest and asks me a thousand
>questions whenever I play, but is he too young to get
>a chanter in his hands and begin going over the scale?
> My concern is that he's too young and he'll look at
>it like a toy, not a musical instrument. Anyone out
>there have any advice or been through this with their
>kid?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.