VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Re: Cullen Anderson

Author:
Peter Kosmoski
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:08:29 09/10/02 Tue
In reply to: Peter Kosmoski 's message, "Re: Cullen Anderson" on 14:06:57 09/06/02 Fri

Good point. Let me bring up some related issues here-

I asked Lars before it if it was OK to pass along Cullen Anderson, and he was fine with it. Lars is not the kind of guy to get upset when someone wants to learn one of his tunes, but since a lot of people seem to want to learn that tune, I made sure to get his permission first.

You should be able to pass sheet music out as much as you want, and play whatever you want to, as long as it's for fun and/or love of the music. But obviously, making $$$ by performing someone else's music is another matter.

I play the tunes that I like at jam sessions, or in semi-public places like a park or whatever. These are not paid performances. I'm not so sure about busking, but I guess I take my chances there! The line is definately drawn when you are in a paid performance situation.

If I bought a songbook at the store, that doesn't give me the right to play that material in a paid performance. Some guitar music that I've purchased actual states this in order to leave no doubt about the matter (Yngwie Malmsteen was pretty big on this subject). Bottom line - If anyone wants to perform another musician's music in a paid gig, it's their responsibility to get permission for the performance whether they learned the tune by ear, by rote or through sheet music.

And I'd like to point out that by passing along sheet music, I'm not assuming responsibility for someone else's indescretions with profiting from another musician's music!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.