VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]
Subject: How'd you find your pipes?

Author:
Hank Delison
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:56:21 02/18/02 Mon

Another thread here got me thinking, beginners often post here asking advice about what pipes to get for their first (last?) set. So, all you old timers, and you not so old timers, what twisty turny road did you take to your current set of pipes?

I'll go first. I mail ordered a set from Scotland out of the Pipeing Times magazine. After a full year of struggle with what turned out to be Scottish garbage, I asked my instructor if he knew of a set of pipes in the local piping community for sale that he would recommend? He said there was a set at the local Scottish shop that he was impressed with and might just suit me. Next day I met him there, popped in my ezee drones and band chanter, started playing while he tuned the drones, half an hour later I was signing the Master Card form. Been happy ever since.

OK folks, I know there are some real wild tales out there, let's have fun.

Hank

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: How'd you find your pipes?

Author:
Nadav
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:07 02/19/02 Tue

this is my story, wild as he can be: (true story)
i've called naill's and mail-ordered me a set of DN1 set.
hmmm.. that's it..
Nadav

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:37:16 02/23/02 Sat

I did an internet search for bagpipe ads. I forget the forum. I found a set of 1959 Sinclair S/I. We talked on the phone. He was in LA, I was in Chicago (this outs me to the people that know the story). I sent him a check for $500 as a deposit, and he overnighted me the pipes. They were perfect (and are perfect), and I sent him the balance the next day. I think we talked that first time for about an hour and a half, and he decided to trust me to do the deal, and to take care of the pipes. Truth be told, I don't think he really understood what he was sending to a stranger to try out. The good news is that it worked for both of us.

Author:
Jim Ryan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:10:12 03/09/02 Sat

I got my first set (1979 Kintails) for Christmas when I was 12. I think my dad said he paid about $250 for them =-)

The set I'm playing now is a pretty funny story.

In 1995 I was getting back into playing solos, having stopped when I was a teenager. I went down to the Fair Hill games with a coupla friends of mine and we were looking around the booths after we'd competed. The "Wee Hoose of Supply" had a booth there with about a dozen sets of used pipes on display. I don't know if it was personal preference or what, but this one set of pipes was literally the most beautiful set of pipes I'd ever seen; 1959 Robertsons, S/I with huge chunks of ivory in nearly pristine condition. I couldn't take my eyes off them. I also couldn't afford them. In fact, I couldn't afford 1/2 of them. And, I couldn't stop thinking about them the rest of the season.

Everywhere I went that season I'd check the "Wee Hoose" and there they were. I talked to the owner (Angus)of the shop, trying to see if anyone had shown any interest. I couldn't believe they were still for sale in late August.

Finally, about a week before Altamont (Labor Day weekend contest in Albany, NY) I'd managed to scrape together about 1/2 the asking price. I called Angus to ask him to come down some on the price. He came down to $2800, but I still didn't have enough. I begged and borrowed the last few hundred $$'s, went up to Altamont, handed him the cash and walked away with what I think are still the most beautiful pipes I've ever seen.

Jim Ryan

> Another thread here got me thinking, beginners often
>post here asking advice about what pipes to get for
>their first (last?) set. So, all you old timers, and
>you not so old timers, what twisty turny road did you
>take to your current set of pipes?
>
>I'll go first. I mail ordered a set from Scotland out
>of the Pipeing Times magazine. After a full year of
>struggle with what turned out to be Scottish garbage,
>I asked my instructor if he knew of a set of pipes in
>the local piping community for sale that he would
>recommend? He said there was a set at the local
>Scottish shop that he was impressed with and might
>just suit me. Next day I met him there, popped in my
>ezee drones and band chanter, started playing while he
>tuned the drones, half an hour later I was signing the
>Master Card form. Been happy ever since.
>
>OK folks, I know there are some real wild tales out
>there, let's have fun.
>
>Hank

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.