VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]
Subject: Re: Solo or Band

Author:
InFavorof Band
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:53:37 03/01/02 Fri
In reply to: Terry Moss 's message, "Solo or Band" on 12:14:30 03/01/02 Fri

Terry

Playing solo is nice. But there's no feeling better than winning a competition with 15 plus people. And in a good situation, those people will be very tight friends.

Solo playing and band playing is a little different, but join a band.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Solo or Band

Author:
Paul Hinson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:50:15 03/02/02 Sat

Band playing is fun until the politics and personality conflicts start rearing their ugly heads. Unless you're lucky enough to have a pipe band close by, you also have travel factors to deal with...that's why I'm no longer in a band. I enjoyed playing parades over band competitions. Playing the "tunes of glory" through a concrete canyon with the bass drum echoing off the building walls and the band sound stretching out well ahead of the band...beat standing in a competition circle any day in my book.

I have always been a solo player at heart though. I guess it's because I started piping outside a band environment. I always had two repertoires...the band stuff and the solo stuff, the latter being the more complex and challenging. Besides, I've not heard too many bands tackle piobaireachd.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Solo or Band

Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:32:02 03/06/02 Wed

I could not have said it better. 9 times out of 10 you're going to be in a band with people you would never choose as friends. And most of the trouble makers are the people who play the least and play the worst. If you do join a good band, hopefully you can spend a lot of time with the better players, and leave the gossip hounds in the bar with their parade sets. :)

Good luck, young man.

>Band playing is fun until the politics and personality
>conflicts start rearing their ugly heads.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.