VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]
Subject: Instrument Maintance?

Author:
Chambers
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:14:43 03/28/02 Thu

I would be interested in knowing what people do to maintain their pipes. Do you dry the stocks with one swab and oil with another? Or do you use the same swab to do both drying and oiling? What other things do you do to maintain the condition of your instrument?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Instrument Maintance?

Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:30 03/29/02 Fri

If you allow your pipe to get a regular dose of moisture, then there's no need for oil whatsoever. I play a Ross system on both sets of pipes and once a week I play them without the cannisters in to the point were the pipes are soaked. Then I swab them out. I think the fear of moisture has been blown way out of proportion where we all seem to fear the slightest bit of condensation inside the drones.

Your pipe needs some moisture to play properly and maintaining a steady level of moisture content is the key. If they're drying out, then soaking, then drying out, then soaking, there is a lot of pressure put on the wood and problems can occur. I've seen a lot of people playing the Ross system and their pipes are bone dry and do not perform properly or produce a well-balanced tone. The Ross system was desgined as a moisture "control" system, not a moisture "prevention" system. If you play hide, no problem there, just control the moisture content by your length of play.

I know I went off on a bit of a tangent here, but the topics of moisture and maintenance are one in the same. By the way, if you are going to use oil, definitely use a fresh, clean swab.

>I would be interested in knowing what people do to
>maintain their pipes. Do you dry the stocks with one
>swab and oil with another? Or do you use the same swab
>to do both drying and oiling? What other things do you
>do to maintain the condition of your instrument?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.