VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5 ]
Subject: VERY NEW NEWBIE

Author:
GENE
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:20:15 05/04/02 Sat

I am so new I squeak. I have a practice chanter picked up not at a bagpipe store with a platic reed. I also have brand new pipes. I have a general music teacher that seems to be just fine to start with but we are both learning together. Now my questions.
1. My practice chanter is probably cheap the holes are just drilled and close togeter but the chanter on my pipes are further apart and seem to be whats called counter sunk? I like the feel of that chanter can i find a practice chanter like that what do i look for?
2. The plastic reeds sound funny i like the cane ones but am a loss how to make them sound consistant and also the best place to purchace the reeds.
3. What can I expect as I change over to the bag. It seems like i fill it with air and no sound comes out.
4. Can I ask real beginner questions here or are there other places more appropriate

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: VERY NEW NEWBIE

Author:
Nadav
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:08:14 05/06/02 Mon

hmmm...
forget about the pipes for now, just dont touch them until you've mastered the chanter.
practice only the practice chanter.
and the most important - GET A PIPING TEACHER

cheers and good luck!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Evian
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:16:27 05/07/02 Tue

Gene,
Yes, you should look for a teacher. I tried to do it myself too....this instrument has its difficulties.

Author:
Nadav
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:09:26 05/08/02 Wed

btw, i must add that you CAN find a practice chanter which the holes are similar to those of the pipe chanter. it can be bought in from every pipe supplier. just ask for long size chanter.

cheers

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.