VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]
Subject: Re: Cane is Cane

Author:
dain
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01:51:25 12/20/01 Thu
In reply to: Brian MacColl 's message, "Cane is Cane" on 10:14:19 12/07/01 Fri

Since we're discussing peoples' experience with different reeds, I'd like to throw in a chip for the MacAllister reeds. 'Just picked some up while visiting Portland Oregon, and I've found that they work very well with moisture, at least so far. I'm playing one in a Shepherd mark II poly. Simply kickin tone. They are a bit hard, but with some work, the crow on high A dropped out, and the balance is very good within the chanter.

My opinion on the cane thing is that surely one must select good cane, and choose to let the "bad" cane go, but how one puts a reed together must have quite a bit to do with the response of the vibration of the reed. If one binds it too tight or too loose, what's going to happen? So, the craft must be considered as well. I believe quite strongly that particuar makes of reeds will not function as well in some chanters and will funtion brilliantly in others, within my experience there is actual proof. But I'd rather mention what does work than what doesn't just to keep the air clear of any nae saying on the overall reed quality of the said reed. With more experience and discussion with others maybe some hypotheses may develop as to exactly why certain reeds don't function well in certain chanters. Until then, I'm using the reeds that work in my chanters with the least amount of manipulation.

Cheers,

Dain

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.