VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]
Subject: Re: Reed strength

Author:
Dain
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:57:55 01/18/02 Fri
In reply to: Will 's message, "Reed strength" on 10:20:19 01/16/02 Wed

Will: I really agree with your post. There is definately a point of dimishing returns with reed strength. I've spent plenty of time with reeds that didn't allow for the finger work. I've also spent some time with reeds that were simply too easily blown sharp.

For me, there is definately a "pocket" between too easy and too hard of a reed. Comfort and steadiness is paramount. It does take time to figure out what is best for each person. A PM is not going to have the time to do this. It's up to the individual.

Some folks think it is not necessary to have two chanters, but if someone is in a band, and wants to learn to blow tone without using 2x4s it would be wise to aquire a second chanter with which one can experiment. Leave the band chanter alone, it's for the band.

Purchasing a second chanter that I can experiment with was the start of my advancement in learning about reeds. I'm not knocking bands or PMs, I just mean that one cannot expect to recieve the necessary attention one needs to build embrasure, and tone, while maintaining steady fingerwork from a PM. It's more of a solo journey, unless one has a private instructor who will spend the needed time and attention on this aspect of one's piping.

A second chanter is an option one should consider. MHO.

Cheers,

Dain

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.