VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]
Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?

Author:
Hank Delison
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:26:59 02/16/02 Sat
In reply to: SkShepherd 's message, "What pipes are recommended around $1000?" on 21:48:45 02/14/02 Thu

Steve, We seem to have some Kintail haters out there. My own opinion is that it depends on you. What your goals in piping are, how far up the grades you hope to go. Are you young enough and talented enough to make it to the cover of the "Piping Times" magizine? Or are your goals more modest, perhaps to be a competent middle rank lower grade band piper. If Oban is your goal, then its more likely then not this will not be the pipe you play there, your tastes will change as you get better. If your goals are the more modest ones, ease of reeding, tuning, playing, durablity might be more important then that wonderful tone open grade pipers produce. You won't be able to produce that tone for a good many years, if ever.
Bottom line here is there are a good many pipemakers producing good quaility pipes at under 1000 bucks. I will suggest talking with your instructor, going to the local band practices and chat with the pipers, the nearest games, we all love to talk about our pipes.
I agree about the silver and such, it doesn't add anything except price to pipes. If you want the name of my and my wifes pipes, e-mail me. They are the best pipes in the world. :-) No need to start a flame war here!
Also stay away fron older vintage pipes, they are trash and treasure, and you aren't experianced enough to tell which is which or even to be able to handle the treasure. I know, my wife had a set of older pipes that sounded great in the hands of our instructor, but she just couldn't handle them. Sold'em.
Good luck
Hank

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?

Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:01:48 02/17/02 Sun

Without sounding disrepsectful, I don't agree with you at all, on any points! LOL

With that said, it doesn't depend on him because he is a beginner and he is coming to a forum to try and harvest some opinions from the "been there, done that" people so he maybe can avoid a costly mistake in the future. So by saying it's up to him, the inexperienced beginner, is just the same as telling him pick what's behind door number 1, number 2 or number 3.

Many people hate Kintail because they are garbage, that's a known fact. Any modern Kintail is kindling with a bag on it.

You also brought up about this person's goals, are they modest or is he shooting for the cover of Piping Times...there's no difference. Just because you'll never play at Oban doesn't mean you should settle for a second-rate pipe. If you were buying a car, would you rather it have second-rate suspension because you're not a Baja off-road professional driver? It's the same thing, everyone should strive for, and deserves, the best. Just look at all the top pros, it's either an old Henderson or it's a Naill...no question!

Just wanted to kindly disagree. :)

Brian.

>Steve, We seem to have some Kintail haters out there.
>My own opinion is that it depends on you. What your
>goals in piping are, how far up the grades you hope to
>go. Are you young enough and talented enough to make
>it to the cover of the "Piping Times" magizine? Or
>are your goals more modest, perhaps to be a competent
>middle rank lower grade band piper. If Oban is your
>goal, then its more likely then not this will not be
>the pipe you play there, your tastes will change as
>you get better. If your goals are the more modest
>ones, ease of reeding, tuning, playing, durablity
>might be more important then that wonderful tone open
>grade pipers produce. You won't be able to produce
>that tone for a good many years, if ever.
>Bottom line here is there are a good many pipemakers
>producing good quaility pipes at under 1000 bucks. I
>will suggest talking with your instructor, going to
>the local band practices and chat with the pipers, the
>nearest games, we all love to talk about our pipes.
>I agree about the silver and such, it doesn't add
>anything except price to pipes. If you want the name
>of my and my wifes pipes, e-mail me. They are the
>best pipes in the world. :-) No need to start a
>flame war here!
>Also stay away fron older vintage pipes, they are
>trash and treasure, and you aren't experianced enough
>to tell which is which or even to be able to handle
>the treasure. I know, my wife had a set of older
>pipes that sounded great in the hands of our
>instructor, but she just couldn't handle them.
>Sold'em.
>Good luck
>Hank

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.