VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]
Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
Dennis
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18:27:12 02/17/02 Sun
In reply to: Hal 's message, "Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?" on 05:43:20 02/16/02 Sat

Krons are probably the best pipe you can buy right now. Anyone who says these pipes "suck" obviously has ulterior motives. Many top pipers are switching to this pipe and they are becoming a hit out here in the Pacific NW, a place which has always been considered "Naill" country.



I never met a set of Kintails that wasn't cracked,
>ugly (in tone and appearance)and made with he same
>care that one would use to spit out a window driving
>on the turnpike. To put it bluntly, DON'T!
>
>Nickel and silver and these things do nothing but add
>ornamentation to a pipe. The nickel doesn't improve
>strength, that wood will crack right underneath it
>with no problem. As far as Booth goes, nice sound but
>can be extremely tough to reed and get balanced. And
>for a beginner like you, you want something you can
>play without spending hours on set up! A friend of
>mine had a set of Booths and they served him well, but
>he sold them 6 months ago for a set of Naills. To be
>honest, you might as well buy Naill from the beginning
>because odds are that's what you'll upgrade to in a
>year's time. Good luck with whatever you choose.
>
>By the way, stay away from Kron. They just suck
>outright! Should be fun to see all these
>"professionals" out there that are going to compete
>with them this year! I know one here in the states,
>but he sells them, and plays a horribly flat chanter!
>Oh well, a grade 1 piper, I mean, a pro piper, can do
>whatever he likes I guess.
>
>Then again this is all my opinion, and what do I know?
> :)
>
>
>Hal
>
>
>>>Naill's.
>>Thats interesting you say to stay away from the
>>Kintail's, cause I was considering them. Is the
>>quality poor? Someone had also suggested David Booth
>>pipes, any thoughts on those?
>>Also do nickel slides worth it? Do they add
>>durability? Just curious as I am a novice.
>>Thanks for all the help!
>>Steve

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
Hal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:48:55 02/18/02 Mon

Sure they are Dennis, McCarthy right? Yeah, you're the guy that's been playing for about 9 months so of course we can give your opinion the appropriate weight when compared to your vast experience. And please, through your many months of expertise, do tell who these professionals are that are making the switch from Naill.

Here's where he says it's not in good taste to name names!

Thanks for the laugh Dennis, by the way, how's Minstrel Boy coming along, going to be ready for March? You know, it is a different ball game out there out in the cold, marching to tunes you barely have off in the cold. Let's see how the Krons do then, and your fingers for that matter. Sorry all, nothing bothers me more than a beginner who comes on these forums and just repeats what their dealer has told them at the time of sale.


>Krons are probably the best pipe you can buy right
>now. Anyone who says these pipes "suck" obviously has
>ulterior motives. Many top pipers are switching to
>this pipe and they are becoming a hit out here in the
>Pacific NW, a place which has always been considered
>"Naill" country.
>
>
>
>I never met a set of Kintails that wasn't cracked,
>>ugly (in tone and appearance)and made with he same
>>care that one would use to spit out a window driving
>>on the turnpike. To put it bluntly, DON'T!
>>
>>Nickel and silver and these things do nothing but add
>>ornamentation to a pipe. The nickel doesn't improve
>>strength, that wood will crack right underneath it
>>with no problem. As far as Booth goes, nice sound but
>>can be extremely tough to reed and get balanced. And
>>for a beginner like you, you want something you can
>>play without spending hours on set up! A friend of
>>mine had a set of Booths and they served him well, but
>>he sold them 6 months ago for a set of Naills. To be
>>honest, you might as well buy Naill from the beginning
>>because odds are that's what you'll upgrade to in a
>>year's time. Good luck with whatever you choose.
>>
>>By the way, stay away from Kron. They just suck
>>outright! Should be fun to see all these
>>"professionals" out there that are going to compete
>>with them this year! I know one here in the states,
>>but he sells them, and plays a horribly flat chanter!
>>Oh well, a grade 1 piper, I mean, a pro piper, can do
>>whatever he likes I guess.
>>
>>Then again this is all my opinion, and what do I know?
>> :)
>>
>>
>>Hal
>>
>>
>>>>Naill's.
>>>Thats interesting you say to stay away from the
>>>Kintail's, cause I was considering them. Is the
>>>quality poor? Someone had also suggested David Booth
>>>pipes, any thoughts on those?
>>>Also do nickel slides worth it? Do they add
>>>durability? Just curious as I am a novice.
>>>Thanks for all the help!
>>>Steve

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
Geoff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:49:24 02/20/02 Wed

Well, although I think you may have been a bit harsh, I agree with you totally. The problem with ALL online forums is that the door is wide open for inexperienced players to give advice to other inexperienced players. The result: ignorance breeding ignorance. We all know how some manufacturers make a living by selling to the new and misinformed piper. And yes, two of the manufacturers mentioned rather negatively earlier in this thread definitely come to mind when I think misinformed beginners being sold bagpipes. Oh well, if this Deniis fellow has only been playing the short time you claim, then his opinion really isn't worth much. It's like describing the performance and handling of a new car to be good, because the dealer told you it was. Maybe the new pipers should start their statements off with "It's a good pipe because my dealer told me it was..." I personally think the beginners would do well for themselves by listening more and talking less.


>Sure they are Dennis, McCarthy right? Yeah, you're
>the guy that's been playing for about 9 months so of
>course we can give your opinion the appropriate weight
>when compared to your vast experience. And please,
>through your many months of expertise, do tell who
>these professionals are that are making the switch
>from Naill.
>
>Here's where he says it's not in good taste to name
>names!
>
>Thanks for the laugh Dennis, by the way, how's
>Minstrel Boy coming along, going to be ready for
>March? You know, it is a different ball game out
>there out in the cold, marching to tunes you barely
>have off in the cold. Let's see how the Krons do
>then, and your fingers for that matter. Sorry all,
>nothing bothers me more than a beginner who comes on
>these forums and just repeats what their dealer has
>told them at the time of sale.
>
>
>>Krons are probably the best pipe you can buy right
>>now. Anyone who says these pipes "suck" obviously has
>>ulterior motives. Many top pipers are switching to
>>this pipe and they are becoming a hit out here in the
>>Pacific NW, a place which has always been considered
>>"Naill" country.
>>
>>
>>
>>I never met a set of Kintails that wasn't cracked,
>>>ugly (in tone and appearance)and made with he same
>>>care that one would use to spit out a window driving
>>>on the turnpike. To put it bluntly, DON'T!
>>>
>>>Nickel and silver and these things do nothing but add
>>>ornamentation to a pipe. The nickel doesn't improve
>>>strength, that wood will crack right underneath it
>>>with no problem. As far as Booth goes, nice sound but
>>>can be extremely tough to reed and get balanced. And
>>>for a beginner like you, you want something you can
>>>play without spending hours on set up! A friend of
>>>mine had a set of Booths and they served him well,
>but
>>>he sold them 6 months ago for a set of Naills. To be
>>>honest, you might as well buy Naill from the
>beginning
>>>because odds are that's what you'll upgrade to in a
>>>year's time. Good luck with whatever you choose.
>>>
>>>By the way, stay away from Kron. They just suck
>>>outright! Should be fun to see all these
>>>"professionals" out there that are going to compete
>>>with them this year! I know one here in the states,
>>>but he sells them, and plays a horribly flat
>chanter!
>>>Oh well, a grade 1 piper, I mean, a pro piper, can do
>>>whatever he likes I guess.
>>>
>>>Then again this is all my opinion, and what do I
>know?
>>> :)
>>>
>>>
>>>Hal
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Naill's.
>>>>Thats interesting you say to stay away from the
>>>>Kintail's, cause I was considering them. Is the
>>>>quality poor? Someone had also suggested David
>Booth
>>>>pipes, any thoughts on those?
>>>>Also do nickel slides worth it? Do they add
>>>>durability? Just curious as I am a novice.
>>>>Thanks for all the help!
>>>>Steve

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:54:06 02/20/02 Wed

I couldn't agree more. Nothing like hearing a new piper that just learned Amazing Grace talk about reed manipulation! I learned so much in my first 3 years, just by listening. The only time I spoke was to ask a question.

A fool always speaks his mind, a wise man always minds what he speaks.

Brian


>I personally think the
>beginners would do well for themselves by listening
>more and talking less.
>
>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
PiperDown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:16:56 02/20/02 Wed

Glad we have so many "experts" in these forums to keep everyone in line.

I appreciate the advice I've gotten from lots of other pipers and know to read everything with an open mind. But these newbies are just excited and eager to spout out what they hear. And chances are they're regurgitating info that they've heard from experienced instructors and pipers.

Just take it lightly and don't be such a condescending ass, Hal, MitchMan,etc. We're all beginners once. Granted, we're all probably better off doing a lot more listening than talking.

>>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:54 02/20/02 Wed

Yes, we were all beginners once, and I had the common sense to just listen. There is absolutely nothing valuable that a beginner piper can offer in the way of information, except maybe the starting times and dates of the local games, I'm sorry. It's like having a college intern offer advice to a 5 year employee on how to run a company...it's good for a laugh.


>Glad we have so many "experts" in these forums to keep
>everyone in line.
>
>I appreciate the advice I've gotten from lots of other
>pipers and know to read everything with an open mind.
>But these newbies are just excited and eager to spout
>out what they hear. And chances are they're
>regurgitating info that they've heard from experienced
>instructors and pipers.
>
>Just take it lightly and don't be such a condescending
>ass, Hal, MitchMan,etc. We're all beginners once.
>Granted, we're all probably better off doing a lot
>more listening than talking.
>
>>>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
PiperDown
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:24 02/21/02 Thu

Yea, agreed for the most part. They can usually point out the beer tent as well. Just sticking up for the little guy, I guess.

But seriously, this is just an opinion board. No one is writing a book, just spouting their thoughts. And no one should take anything here as the absolute truth. When I read the various strings, for example regarding popular pipes, I look for majority and common opinions. If everyone has good words for Naill and a few don't, then I tend to believe most people think highly of Naill. But I still like to hear why people don't like Naill, what their negative experience was.

Hell, I'm no expert and am still learning everyday from great pipers whenever I can, as are probably all of us. So I listen a lot more than I advise and maybe someday it will be the other way around.

>
>
>>Glad we have so many "experts" in these forums to keep
>>everyone in line.
>>
>>I appreciate the advice I've gotten from lots of other
>>pipers and know to read everything with an open mind.
>>But these newbies are just excited and eager to spout
>>out what they hear. And chances are they're
>>regurgitating info that they've heard from experienced
>>instructors and pipers.
>>
>>Just take it lightly and don't be such a condescending
>>ass, Hal, MitchMan,etc. We're all beginners once.
>>Granted, we're all probably better off doing a lot
>>more listening than talking.
>>
>>>>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?


Author:
PipSqueakPipr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:32:15 02/24/02 Sun

I had to say something in defense of any other newbies out there (I know I cannot be the only one of us who has just been "listening in" for the past four months). Often times threads generate so many posts, and we listen for a majority voice in the thread. There are newbies who realize that manufacturers, salespeople, pipe bands and pipers themselves have their own idea of what to suggest for $1000. Any of us in a pipe band know that the instructors or PM's will suggest one pipe over another because of their experiences. From reading this thread, and reading other threads, Naill has had many "thumbs up" votes. I would surmise Naill pipes would be a good investment. I already have pipes, and Naill they are not. But I would not have gone against my PM's direction, at any time, and order a set he didn't recommend just because of what I read on this forum. He knows how to make his pipes of choice work for the band, that is the bottom line. I cannot imagine how confusing or frustrating it would be to go through pipe purchasing without an instructor or PM to guide you. I think that was the intention of this thread's beginnings and perhaps helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Now off to something more productive, like practice!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.