VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5] ]
Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?

Author:
Kimberly
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:03:12 02/21/02 Thu
In reply to: SkShepherd 's message, "What pipes are recommended around $1000?" on 21:48:45 02/14/02 Thu

>I will be purchasing some pipes for the first time in
>the near future and have a spending limit of $1000. I
>would like to get the most for my money and would
>appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.
>Thanks
>Steve

I'd have to agree with the Naill and Hendersen bit. BUT, correct me if I'm wrong guys, I think it would be very hard to find a good set of Naills or Hendersen's for $1000 or less.

Since Steve is looking for pipes in that price range, here's some that I know are descent pipes for that price:

McCallum makes a good pipe for between $900-$1000. Good drone tone and I really like the chanter! I know a grade 2 band that plays all McCallum chanters and is having their junior members all purchase McCallum pipes when they need pipes. So I think that says a lot about how those pipes sound. I'd recommend going this route.

I also think Gibson makes a good pipe for that price. Nice base drone sound, good overall balance. I am a big fan of this pipe! Nice sound! MacCloud of Glasgow is descent too. I can't think of any more at the moment.

Stay away from Kintails, Krons and in my opinion Shepards too. I've never been a fan of Shepard...can't stand those reeds and just don't like the tone of the drones. I had an open piper tell me that he thought Hardies are made in Pakistan...if this is true stay away from those too!

I hope this helps! Happy hunting!
Kimberly

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?

Author:
John Mitchell
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:13:56 02/21/02 Thu

Wow, I just checked in on the Voy to see if it was still alive and it's good to see there is some Lively conversation going on! That's my cup of tea! LOL

Here's my thoughts on buying pipes for the beginner!

Work with a reputable dealer who will let you try various makes and take care of any problems that might occur down the road.

Until a beginner develops their ear for tone, it really doesn't matter what pipes they start off with as they will all sound the same anyway. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to buy a set of Gibson pipes to save them the bother of having to look for a good sounding set down the road.

15 expert players just played my Gibson pipes this weekend at a Saturday and Sunday session night on the Queen Mary, there wasn't one player who didn't like the tone of the pipes and all played longer than what they traditionally would have played because they really enjoyed performing on these pipes.

The main comment, "That is one hell of a good set of sounding pipes you gave there!"

That's what I've been saying for the past 12 years about Gibson! Yes, you can go with the masses and buy a popular brand, or you can stand out in the crowd and blow them all away with a set of Gibson pipes.

And for God sakes, don't listen to any pro piper selling bagpipes, They are sales people, it's their job to be nice and helpful too!

Cheers

John Mitchell

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: What pipes are recommended around $1000?

Author:
Brian MacColl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:05:28 02/22/02 Fri

I agree Gibson is a good pipe as well. But thank goodness they changed that awful translucent ivory to something a little more appealing. Doesn't affect the tone, I know, but there are some aesthetic issues surrounding the piping world. It was a good change.

>Wow, I just checked in on the Voy to see if it was
>still alive and it's good to see there is some Lively
>conversation going on! That's my cup of tea! LOL
>
>Here's my thoughts on buying pipes for the beginner!
>
>Work with a reputable dealer who will let you try
>various makes and take care of any problems that might
>occur down the road.
>
>Until a beginner develops their ear for tone, it
>really doesn't matter what pipes they start off with
>as they will all sound the same anyway. Hopefully
>they'll be smart enough to buy a set of Gibson pipes
>to save them the bother of having to look for a good
>sounding set down the road.
>
>15 expert players just played my Gibson pipes this
>weekend at a Saturday and Sunday session night on the
>Queen Mary, there wasn't one player who didn't like
>the tone of the pipes and all played longer than what
>they traditionally would have played because they
>really enjoyed performing on these pipes.
>
>The main comment, "That is one hell of a good set of
>sounding pipes you gave there!"
>
>That's what I've been saying for the past 12 years
>about Gibson! Yes, you can go with the masses and buy
>a popular brand, or you can stand out in the crowd and
>blow them all away with a set of Gibson pipes.
>
>And for God sakes, don't listen to any pro piper
>selling bagpipes, They are sales people, it's their
>job to be nice and helpful too!
>
>Cheers
>
>John Mitchell

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.