VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]
Subject: Re: Power Macintosh 5500/225 rescued, wanna max it out.

Author:
J.C.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:23:08 02/20/08 Wed
In reply to: Cpt.Quinn 's message, "Power Macintosh 5500/225 rescued, wanna max it out." on 12:59:18 01/24/08 Thu

You will want 128MB of RAM

Make sure any G3 L2 cpu card (Sonnet, et al ) is low profile, a taller one may not fit......from experiance.

The 300mhz G3 L2's. commonly available, may not seem that much faster, but they have backside L2 caches of 512MB running at 1/2 cpu speed which makes them noticeably faster than a 603e 250mhz with mobo L2 of 256 to 1MB.....running at the 40mhz. mobo speed......

If you are going to go DSL, then you want all this extra horsepower.

Be aware the YouTube no longer works with OS 9, since 12-07....you will need XpostFacto to run OS X, plus ADB / USB helpers.

A Comm Slot II Ethernet Base 10 card would free up your PCI slot(s) for a dual USB /FireWire card.

Even so, you will NOT be able to use an external FW DVD player / burner.....your mobo ATI graphics does not have the requisite DVD cecoder hardware on the board.

Trying to use a ATI PCI graphcs card with the decoder hardware, is fraught with problems.....there is a lot about this impasse at The 6400 Zones discussion pages....

The 128MB RAM limit will be the choker with Streaming Video. You want EDO RAM not FPM......EDO is a LOT faster, the 5500 was designed for EDO RAM. FPM RAM actually slows things down more that it would on other Macs....

Been there, done that.....I put a 5500/250 mobo into a Perf 6360 with a 300mhz L2 G3......as per above.
My friend did not go DSL.....she is an idiot.....paid me $118 for the job......plus parts....still on AOL after two years.....go figure. My one time Mac mentor.............

Jesse

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Power Macintosh 5500/225 rescued, wanna max it out.Christopher T. Miller (Max'd out 5500)19:19:31 03/08/08 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.