VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:23:23 03/03/03 Mon
Author: DarrenC
Author Host/IP: dialin-153-156.tor.primus.ca / 216.254.153.156
Subject: Back from 1st comp of the season...

***The below has been cut and pasted over here in case someone hasn't read it on Reg's forum***

Hi folks!

Returned late last night from Concord, Mass., and the 10th Anuual Snowshoe Grilling Challenge sanctioned by the New England BBQ Society and hosted by Condord Brewery.

What a super weekend! The BBQ spirit is alive and well in New England, let me tell you. Just a fun liitle early spring cookoff and they got 18 teams out for it, including well-known teams such as 'I Smell Smoke!', 'UFO Social Club', 'Petey's Crispy Critters', and 'Smokin' Bones' among others, as well as a large assortment of restauaranteurs and caterers, etc. I was also fortunate enough to meet Garry Howard of 'The Smoke Ring' fame, and Jim McGrath of 'Chicken Chokin' Smokin' Blues', both of whom had elected to judge instead of compete at the event.

International diplomacy was at an all-time high as we were practically treated like celebrities from the time we arrived Friday. Kevin Flannery of 'Slowpokes BBQ' arranged for a lovely reception for us with several NEBS competitors and board members, and at the competition on Saturday Nancy Peterson, NEBS President, presented us with a special award for bringing international BBQ to New England. Many of the competing teams and judges also made a point of coming by to thank us for making the trip, as well as Andy King from the National BBQ News, who did a small interview with us.

The event itself was a blast. Weather was above freezing by a few degrees, the taps at the brewery were open, and the organiziation was superb. A good time was had by all, but special cogratulations should go to UFO Social Club for their Grand Champion win, I Smell Smoke! for their Rserve Grand as well as a perfect 180 score in lamb (something really cool to witness, BTW), and Slowpokes BBQ, who inspite of failing to turn in their lamb due to technical difficulties, placed in each of the other 3 categories.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "What Have You Been Smokin'?" received a first place trophy for chicken and placed 4th overall.

If anybody is interested in travelling to more NEBS events over the season, drop me a line. I spent a lot of time with the board of directors there and have lots of info.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.