VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:07:11 11/15/01 Thu
Author: Ron
Author Host/IP: MTL-HSE-ppp192765.qc.sympatico.ca / 65.94.192.179
Subject: Montreal Smoked Meat

Thanks to Bruce's advise I finally made a montreal smoked meat brisket in the WSM a couple weeks ago. I figured with the outside temps so low I could cold smoke without having to rig a tall box on top of the smoker as Bruce advised. The meat had been resting in a bucket of brine for a week, I also injected the inside with said brine prior. The night before the cook I pulled out the meat, drained it and rubbed the spices on it.

What I did is get 3 briquettes started with a blow torch and put a chunk of hickory on top. I was able to maintain 90-100 degrees for about 4 hrs. I then got more coals ready in a chimney and filled the chamber with these and unlit coals and bumped the temp slowly to 200-225. It was a 4.5 lb top half brisket and it took 12 hrs. It finally reached internal temp 170. Took it out, wrapped it in foil and towels in a cooler overnight. The next day I cut off a big chunk, steamed it for an hour and we ate homemade montreal smoked meat sandwiches on rye with sides of pickles, cole slaw, cherry peppers and homemade fries. Tasted great.

Now, here's the problem. It's the second time this year I make a brisket, the first time was a texas style for which I used the bottom half of the brisket. The meat always end up a bit chewy. Is it the piece of meat I bought or should I bring the internal temp higher to get it right?

Finally, Congrats to the Swinefellows at the JD and to all of you: you don't know how much I appreciate this board. Just about everything I now know about smoking I learned it here. I do miss the Tuesday chats.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.