Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]3 ]

LST SAILORS TALK DECK
WELCOME TO THE LST SAILORS TALK DECK.
Founded by our own Old Sea Dog

Subject: LST 202

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/22/10 08:42:46

LST 202 UNDER ATTACK

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: VICTORY OVER STUPIDITY !

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/ 8/09 16:41:46

Virginia neighborhood group drops demand that 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient Col. Van T. Barfoot remove flagpole from his yard.

Replies:

Subject: Just Ducky Tours

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/10/10 06:47:54

This is one of the tour opportunities in Pittsburgh for Amphibs Week. Reservations for tours are due August 1st, Hotel Reservations should be made within the next week to ensure you get the reduced rate for Amphibs Week.

(See header photo)

Subject: Independence Day...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 5/10 03:25:50

It was one of those rare evenings, seemingly transported from another time and another place. It was as if a time machine had transported us to the 1950s, when my parents lived in the house I now own.

It had been a quiet day, the parades and fireworks held on Saturday, the third, in deference to the Church Services that are conducted on Sunday. In the evening my brother was here and we grilled, enjoying the meal and talking about our parents. After the dishes were cleared and cleaned, I went out to water the flowers I love.

It was a quiet night, all things considered; I pulled a few weeds and kept changing the sprinkler so that all of the plants were nourished. It was hot with some humidity but enough of a breeze to keep it from being oppressive.

I had not been dressed for company, flip flops on my feet, long track pants and one of my LST 325 T Shirts. My new neighbor Sarah came over and we sat on the porch, quietly talking and enjoying a cool drink, waving to those who were enjoying an evening walk. One neighbor, who I am not well acquainted with, was returning from walking his dog and came up into the yard to chat and allowing us to spoil the dog just a bit. My thoughts strayed a moment to my parents. This was a scene typical of summer nights in my childhood, I had to think that they were smiling from up above knowing vestiges of small town America still existed. How appropriate for Independence Day; a true measure of the success of your efforts to keep us free.

After a few minutes, a question was asked "What do you know about that ship that is on your T Shirt?" Those of you who know me are fully aware of how delighted I was to talk about one of my favorite subjects! As the conversation progressed, I discovered that this young man's father had served on LSD 13, the USS Casa Grande. I shared information about the Ohio LST Amphibs Association, the LST 325 Ship Memorial and also our upcoming Amphibs Week. Sarah probably learned more about Amphib ships that she ever wanted to know, but the other neighbor and I really enjoyed our conversation.

The evening grew dark, fireflies showing their golden lanterns through the yard. We retired for the evening, returning to our homes, and content with the camaraderie we shared.

As the new morning dawns, the day promises to be hot and humid. Unlike yesterday, the air does not seem to be moving. At a bit after nine, the front door bell pealed its chime. A gentleman stood there, smiling. I looked up and here was the Casa Grande veteran in person! We had a delightful conversation, spoke lovingly about our Grey Lady and shared our respect for the Amphibious Forces. I excused myself for a moment and brought him a copy of the booklet that I did for Dad's shipmates. He in turn, shared some photographs of his mobile museum of military artifacts. We parted with a promise to stay in touch, and my promise to send information regarding Amphibs Week and the Ohio Association.

Often, when least expected, we are given reminders of what is important in life. I could not have asked for a better end to the Fourth of July celebrations than to have another opportunity to thank one of you, our Veterans, for your service and dedication. Honoring YOU and all those who served is what Independence Day is all about!

With deep admiration and affection,

SeaBat

Replies:

Subject: LONG MAY SHE WAVE

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 4/10 05:31:15

Replies:

Subject: IT SHOULD LEAVE THE TUBE

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 3/10 13:46:42

oops !

Subject: Navy Country Currents Band

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 3/10 11:30:19

This fourth of July, remember all the men and women serving our country, in all those foreign bases and far away places. GOD BLESS AMERICA !. If it brings a tear to your eyes that's OK, BE PROUD !

Subject: A LITTLE MORE HEART: TONY GONSALEZ

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 3/10 11:19:11

Subject: VIDEO: THE LST STORY

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/ 3/10 11:11:34

IT IS ALMOST 11 MINUTES LONG, BUT VERY GOOD !

Subject: LST 970

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/17/10 08:13:03

Ferry Boat " Atlantic" under scrap at San Nicolas Shore- Argentina- 26 april-2010

Resume Life:
It was built in November 1944, at Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Inc. Hingham, MA.
She take part on 2nd World War as landing Ship, I read that was Commissioned as USS LST-970
During World War II was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto, May and June 1945.
Following the War, LST-970 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late February 1946 .
LST-970 earned one battle star for World War II service
On 25 April 1947 was sold for commercial service to Trailerships, Inc.renamed M/V Old Point Comfort
On 6 January 1967 was Resold to Navegacion, Atlantida, S.A. renamed M/V Atlantic
After that, Uruguayan Flag was put and made its first journey between Buenos Aires and Colonia del Sacramento (Uruguay) in March 1967, sailing on that route until early 90s.
Between 1993/94 was laid down were we see in the photo.
Ther has suffered vandalism, and was fired several times. Nowaday is aground on that position, being scrapped-
More info can be see at: http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/160970.htm

Replies:

Subject: YOU GOTTA HOLD IT TIGHT !

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 2/10 07:56:05

Replies:

Subject: Header Photo

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/27/10 13:59:18

Courtesy of Chip Lanham Thanks Chip!

Subject: Amphibs (LST) Week 2010

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/27/10 13:39:52

PLEASE REMEMBER TO MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS FOR AMPHIBS (LST) Week AND send in your registration form to the Ship's Office. Some of the events DO have early cutoff dates and the hotel will cut down our hotel reservation block on July 15th if we don't meet a certain percentage of reservations. (This is normal practice and the same issue the US LST Association is facing.)

We have worked very hard to plan a variety of events, a hospitality room to sit and reminisce/visit. Please see the USS LST Ship Memorial home page. Scroll down just a bit and if you look on the right side of the page you will see an arrow pointing to the Ship's Itinerary, the listing of events for Amphibs (LST) Week and also a Registration Form.

Please join us in Pittsburgh!

Some general information is re-posted below:

"The Sheraton Station Square is the host hotel for Amphibs Week events! This hotel is very well maintained, clean, neat and has a wonderful atmosphere of welcome for you Sailors and your wives. The staff is anxious to please and look forward to our visit. It promises to be an outstanding visit to Pittsburgh and LST 325!

The room rates are $85.00 per night plus tax, we have received a reduced rate on parking, and will have our banquet on Monday evening. The hospitality room will be open every day; Jo and Steve Watt are working hard on making it a place that you can relax, swap sea stories, meet old friends and make new ones. The Sheraton wants to make sure we have a wonderful event and will make every effort to assure we are all comfortable and well cared for.

The hotel itself is in the same block as the train station - many of you who picked up your LSTs at AmBridge or Dravo probably came through that station! There are many restaurants of various price ranges within a block of the hotel and of course the hotel has a dining room of it's own. There is also a coffee stand that sells coffee, juices, bagels and danish and other items. A small gift shop is near the coffee shop. There is a Subway Sandwich shop, the Hard Rock Cafe and a little Restaurant called Island House that are all within a 1/2 block of the hotel if you want a change from the hotel dining facilities. For hotel amenities, please see the link below.

Attendees can now call in to reserve guest rooms. The system is set up to call the room block LST 325 AMPHIBS WEEK. BE SURE YOU SPECIFY LST 325 AMPHIBS WEEK to get the group rate. Call 1-800-325-3535 to make reservations. Everyone makes their own hotel reservations, it is NOT going to be listed on the Activities Itinerary as an option, only the registration and tour packages. (Tour information will be coming out soon and we'll have a registration form placed on the website. We're waiting on pricing for one or two events and then that can be published.)

If you want to view the hotel's website, click on the link below.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=693

Please note that Amphibs Week will run from September 1 - 6; IF approved, River Cruises will take place September 7th. The ship will be open for tours the entire stay in Pittsburgh, so the crew members will be busy! The people of Pittsburgh are excited to have LST 325 visit and are looking forward to sharing everything Pittsburgh has to offer!"

Subject: LST 512

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/30/09 14:22:56

Photobucket

Folding the mast on the 512 while on the river. This was necessary due to the many bridges she sailed under, and was probably a feature of all of the LST's built at Seneca, Jeffersonville, Evansville or Pittsburgh.

Replies:

Subject: LST 269

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/16/10 10:09:50

I HAVE FOUND NO PICTURES YET, STILL LOOKING.
USS LST-269
(LST-269) Motto: Monster of the Sea
# LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship Laid down, 28 December 1942, at American Bridge Co., Ambridge, PA.
# Launched, 4 July 1943
# Commissioned USS LST-269, 27 August 1943, Lt. F. C. Helm, USNR, in command
# During World War II LST-269 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater LST Flotilla Five (Capt. G.B. Carter, USN), Group Fifteen (Cdr. V. K. Busck, USN), Division 30 and participated in the:
Asiatic-Pacific Campaigns Campaign and Dates
Hollandia operation April 1944
Leyte operation
Leyte landings, October 1944
Marianas operation
Capture and occupation of Saipan, June and July 1944
Manila Bay-Bicol operations
Nasugbu , January 1945

# Following World War II LST-269 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946
# Decommissioned, 7 February 1946
# Struck from the Naval Register, 23 December 1947
# Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 28 May 1948, to Bethlehem Steel Co., Bethlehem, PA.
# LST-269 earned four battle stars for World War II service
Specifications: (as reported by Office of Naval Intelligence-1945)
Displacement 1,625 t.(lt), 4,080 t.(fl) (sea-going draft w/1675 ton load)
Length 328' o.a.
Beam 50'
Draft
(light) - 2' 4" fwd, 7' 6" aft
(sea-going) 8' 3" fwd, 14' 1" aft
(landing) 3' 11" fwd, 9' 10" aft (landing w/500 ton load)
Speed 12 kts. (maximum)
Endurance 24,000 miles @ 9kts. while displacing 3960 tons
Complement
7 officers, 104 enlisted
Troop Accommodations
16 officers, 147 enlisted
Boats 2 LCVP
Cargo Capacity (varied with mission - payloads between 1600 and 1900 tons)
Typical loads
One Landing Craft Tank (LCT), tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment and military supplies. A ramp or elevator forward allowed vehicles access to tank deck from main deck
Additional capacity included sectional pontoons carried on each side of vessel amidships, to either build Rhino Barges or use as causeways. Married to the bow ramp, the causeways would enabled payloads to be delivered ashore from deeper water or where a beachhead would not allow the vessel to be grounded forward after ballasting
Armament (varied with availability when each vessel was outfitted. Retro-fitting was accomplished throughout WWII. The ultimate armament design for United States vessels was
2 - Twin 40MM gun mounts w/Mk. 51 directors
4 - Single 40MM gun mounts
12 single 20MM gun mounts
Propulsion two General Motors 12-567, 900hp diesel engines, two shafts, twin rudders
from a report
Grasp sailed on 18 January to Tacloban Harbor, Philippines, with damaged Brooks (APD-10) in tow. From there, she joined TG 77.8 and supported the initial landings at Zambales, Luzon, on the 25th. After pulling LST-991, LST-609, LST-777 and LST-714 from the beach, and recovering the anchor and cable for LST-609, Grasp sailed to Nasugbu Bay, Luzon, to retract LST-269 from the beach and recover the anchor and cable for LST-701. With those tasks complete, the salvage ship sailed to Manila Harbor, arriving there to a scene of utter devastation on 3 March.

Subject: Re: LST 67

Author:
Neal Carlson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/15/10 19:53:44

O wow, that is a lot, very cool, thank you

Subject: LST 67

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 14:59:14

LST 67 40 MM GUN CREW

LST-66 & LST 67
April 23, 1944

Replies:

Subject: LST 67

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 14:21:42

LST 67 WAS A BUSY GREY LADY, SHE WAS AT ALMOST ALL THE PACIFIC OPERATIONS.

USS LST-67 was manned by the US Coast Guard during World War II
# Laid down, 7 September 1942, at Jeffersonville Boat and Machine Co., Jeffersonville, IN.
# Launched, 28 January 1943
# Commissioned USS LST-67, 20 April 1943 with a Coast Guard crew
# During World War II LST-67 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and participated in:

* Eastern New Guinea Operation;
(a) Finschhafen occupation, September 1943
(b) Saidor occupation, January 1944
* Bismarck Archipelago operation;
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain, December 1943 and January 1944
* Admiralty Islands landing, March 1944
* Hollandia operation, April and May 1944
* Western New Guinea operations;
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area, May 1944
(b) Biak Island area, May and June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation, July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation, July and August 1944
(e) Morotai landings, September 1944
* Leyte operation;
(a) Leyte landings, October and November 1944
* Luzon operation;
(a) Lingayen Gulf landing, 9 January 1945
* Borneo Operations;
(a) Tarakan Island operation, April and May 1945
(b) Balikpapan area, June and July 1945
* Consolidation and capture of the Southern Philippines;
(a) Visayan Island Landing, March 1945

# Decommissioned, 28 March 1946
# Struck from the Naval Register, 8 May 1946
# Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 5 December 1947, to Ships and Power Equipment Co., Barber, N.J.
# LST-67 earned nine battle stars for World War II service
A NOTE FOUND
LST-67 AT TARAKAN

May 1st found the Coast Guard manned LST-67 anchored off Tarakan Island, Borneo with the original assault forces. Destroyers, gunboats, rocket ships, and mine sweepers came alongside to replenish their magazines and resume the devastating fire which made possible the steady advance of the attacking Australian forces. The LST-67 also acted as general logistics ship during the operation, furnishing dry stores, fuel, and fresh water to the various participating vessels.

Replies:

Subject: KOREAN LST'S

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 14:41:48

National Archive# NN33300514 2005-06-30 Released to Public ID: DN-ST-82-06900 Service Depicted: Other Service Operation / Series: TEAM SPIRIT `82 A Korean Navy LST [ROKS Gyebong (LST 675)] approaches the beach during exercise Team Spirit '82.

National Archive# NN33300514 2005-06-30 Released to Public ID: DM-ST-83-08408 Service Depicted: Other Service Operation / Series: TEAM SPIRIT `83 A stern view of a Republic of Korea tank landing ship [ROKS Suyeong (LST 677)] that ran aground on the beach during Exercise Team Spirit '83.

Replies:

Subject: LST 692 BEER

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 14:29:49

NONE OF MY LST'S HAD THEIR OWN BEER, WELL DONE LST 692.

Subject: LST-67

Author:
Neal Carlson (Excited)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 08:15:38

I'm the Grandson or Robert E Carlson who served on the LST-67 and a Former Marine myself. I am looking for anyone who might have any stories about my Grandfather or any pictures of his ship.

Thank You for your service and God Bless
Neal Carlson

Subject: does anyone have a photo of the uss lst 269?

Author:
Oliver Gordon Williamson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/14/10 05:01:08

I am writing a short history of my time serving on the USS-LST 269.

I AM TRYING TO LOCATE A PHOTO OF LT. SENIOR GRADE JOHN "JOHNNY WILKES, LT JUNIOR GRADE OLIVER "GORDON WILLIAMSON OR ANY INFORMATION ON THE USS-LST 269.

I DO REMEMBER WE HAD AN OPERATING ROOM AND TOOK IN WOUNDED
I SERVED WITH 19 OTHER COMMUNICATIONS OFFICERS.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Subject: MIKE BOAT

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/13/10 15:52:34

LOADED "MIKE" BOAT

Subject: NO. AFRICA LSTS

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/13/10 15:48:47

LSTS WAITING TO LAND IN NORTH AFRICA

Subject: USS GRASP + LSTS in WWII

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/30/09 18:19:47

The USS Grasp in WWII
After observing the Chiristmas holiday, Grasp and tug Chowanoc (ATF-100) pulled LSM-9 off the beach on 29 December. The two small craft did the same the following day for attack transport President Adams (APA-19), which had grounded on a reef in Seeadler Harbor. Those two salvage tasks were only a warm-up task for her more critical tasks of supporting the to prepare for her role upcoming Luzon operations in the Philippines. As part of Task Force 77.1, Grasp sailed with the landing force on 1 January 1945, arrived in Lingayen Gulf on the 9th and immediately set to work.

The salvage ship first aided transport War Hawk, damaged by a suicide boat that evening, helping to keep the damaged transport afloat. Then, after cargo ship Otis Skinner was hit by a kamikaze on 12 January, Grasp again provided fire-fighting and battle-repair services. Over the next week, the salvage ship pulled landing craft LCI-335 and LST-608 off the beaches and cleared the fouled propellers of LCI-333.

Grasp sailed on 18 January to Tacloban Harbor, Philippines, with damaged Brooks (APD-10) in tow. From there, she joined TG 77.8 and supported the initial landings at Zambales, Luzon, on the 25th. After pulling LST-991, LST-609, LST-777 and LST-714 from the beach, and recovering the anchor and cable for LST-609, Grasp sailed to Nasugbu Bay, Luzon, to retract LST-269 from the beach and recover the anchor and cable for LST-701. With those tasks complete, the salvage ship sailed to Manila Harbor, arriving there to a scene of utter devastation on 3 March.

Replies:

Subject: The cost of war

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/11/10 10:53:59

April 1945: White markers designate the final resting place for hundreds of Third and Fourth Marine Division fighters, who died during the invasion of Iwo Jima in World War II, in this cemetery located near the beach where the U.S. Marines first established a beachhead. In the background, an American flag flies at half staff in tribute to the late President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who died in Warm Springs, Ga., on April 12. (AP Photo/Murray Befeler)

Subject: Beach Photo

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/11/10 10:37:48

Dec. 26, 1943: U.S. Marines march ashore as they arrive in six landing crafts at Cape Gloucester on the northwestern coast of New Britain Island, New Guinea. The Allied forces made a second big invasion operation of the Japanese occupied island in an attempt to capture the big air base of Rabual, on the southwestern coast of the island. (AP Photo/U.S. Coast Guard)

Subject: IWO JIMA

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/11/10 06:02:45

Feb. 1945: This general view shows amtracs bogged down in the sands along the beaches of Iwo Jima after the American invasion of the Japanese stronghold during World War II. In the background, U.S. Marines and Coast Guard beach parties operate communications and command posts and fox hole "hospitals" as assault troops push back the enemy from established beaches on the Volcano Island. (AP Photo/U.S. Coast Guard)

Subject: WWII PICTURE !

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/11/10 05:49:53

I AM AN AMERICAN AND I WILL DEFEND MY HOMELAND AGAINST ALL ENEMYS !.

Subject: The Star Chart

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 9/10 16:52:12

Replies:

Subject: LOOK TO THE SKY !

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 9/10 06:25:07

Skywatcher Michael Jäger of Stixendorf, Austria, took this photo of the newfound comet McNaught C/2009 R1 on June 6, 2010, while the comet was visible in the northeastern morning sky.
....................................................................................................................
A recently discovered comet is surprising skywatchers by becoming brighter than predictions had first suggested and can now be seen with the unaided eye during the next few weeks.

Comet McNaught, officially catalogued as C/2009 R1, was discovered by Australian astronomer Robert McNaught last September using the using the 0.5-meter Uppsala Schmidt telescope and a CCD camera. It's the 51st comet that bears McNaught's name.

Although initially an extremely faint object, enough observations of the newfound comet were made to allow Brian Marsden of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Mass., to calculate an orbit.

Comet McNaught is expected to pass closest to the sun (perihelion) on July 2, at a distance of 37 million miles (60 million km). This sky map shows where to look in order to spot the comet in the morning sky.

The comet is visible now for people with dark skies away from urban and suburban lighting. By mid-June it may be an easy skywatching target for most people.

Subject: SOME PICS

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 8/10 16:53:30

AN IWO MARINE CORPS VETERAN YEARS LATER

A MARINE CORPS "GUNNY".
RIGHT HAND SALUTE

Subject: Amphibs Week 2010 (LST WEEK)

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 6/10 13:25:38

The registration forms for Amphibs Week are on the home page of the LST 325 Ship Memorial.

lstmemorial.org

You can click on the tab and it will give you a printable version. You can see the Ship's Itinerary there as well as a description of the tours available.
Hope to see you there!

Subject: Jupiter Fireball

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 4/10 09:55:22

This photo of Jupiter taken June 3, 2010 by Australian amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley shows a bright fireball from an apparent meteor or other object. Skywatcher Christopher Go of the Philippines also caught the event on video.

Replies:

Subject: For you stargazers out there...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 3/10 11:02:06

Even when they have all of the newfangled gadgets to tell locations when at sea... there is still something wonderful about 'shooting the stars'... this link tells about a show available in our own backyards this week...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/planettripleplaysaturnmarsandvenusappeartogether

Subject: THE EXECUTIVE YUAN

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06/ 2/10 15:06:06

YOU ASKED, SO HERE IS WHAT I FOUND ABOUT THE EXECUTIVE YUAN,

The Board of Supply, Executive Yuan, is a group within the Executive Yuan.

THE EXECUTIVE YUAN BUILDING, TAIWAN.
The Executive Yuan (traditional Chinese: pinyin: Xíngzhèng Yuàn; literally "Executive court") is the executive branch of the government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) (ROC).

Councils and Commissions:

Empowered by various laws, or even the Constitution, under the Executive Yuan several individual boards are formed to enforce different executive functions of the government. Unless regulated otherwise, the chairs are appointed by and answer to the Premier. The committee members of the boards are usually (a) governmental officials for the purpose of interdepartmental coordination and cooperation; or (b) creditable professionals for their reputation and independence.

Executive Yuan Council

The Executive Yuan Council, commonly referred to as "The Cabinet" , is the chief policymaking organ of the ROC government. It consists of the premier, who presides over its meetings, the vice premier, ministers without portfolio, the heads of the ministries, and the heads of the Mongolian and Tibetan Affairs Commission and the Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission. The secretary-general and the deputy secretary-general of the Executive Yuan also attend, as well as heads of other Executive Yuan organizations by invitation, but they have no vote. Article 58 of the Constitution empowers the Executive Yuan Council to evaluate statutory and budgetary bills concerning martial law, amnesty, declarations of war, conclusion of peace or treaties, and other important affairs before submission to the Legislative Yuan.
[edit] Relationship with the Legislative Yuan

A common scene in Taiwanese news consists of ministers being asked harsh questions by legislative committees. Legally, the Executive Yuan must present the Legislative Yuan with an annual policy statement and an administrative report. The Legislative Yuan may also summon members of the Executive Yuan for questioning.

Whenever there is disagreement between the Legislative Yuan and Executive Yuan, the Legislative Yuan may pass a resolution asking the EY to alter the policy proposal in question. The Executive Yuan may, in turn, ask the LY to reconsider. Afterwards, if the LY upholds the original resolution, the premier must abide by the resolution or resign. The EY may also present an alternative budgetary bill if the one passed by the Legislative Yuan is deemed difficult to execute.

Subject: The first flag on a piece of pipe

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 9/10 11:03:39

Replies:

Subject: I sat listening

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/28/10 13:09:38

to some people in the coffee shop this morning; they were speaking of the Memorial Day holiday and their plans. I heard them speak about visiting some family members, a party at a friend's and getting together for a cookout on Monday. Not one word was spoken about what this holiday is truly for. It made me sad. I am in hopes that they also have plans to attend the local Memorial Day parade, to visit the cemeteries, to attend the wreath laying in town square. At the very least, deep in their hearts I hope that they at least take a few minutes to pause... lest we EVER forget what has been done for us by so many.

Thank you to our veterans... and those who currently serve. I will remember you along with those through the ages (including some of my own family members) who died. May they rest in peace.

Subject: John Willliam Finn

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/28/10 12:15:22

Retired Navy officer John Finn, who received the Medal of Honor for his bravery during the Japanese attack on military installations in Hawaii that plunged the United States into World War II, died Thursday at the Veterans Home of California in Chula Vista.

At 100, Finn was the oldest surviving recipient of the nation's highest medal for valor and the only recipient still alive among those who received the medal for actions during the attack of Dec. 7, 1941.

Subject: 3 More views of LST 512

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/14/10 13:32:38

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My previous post on these didn't show the pictures, it just gave the link to them; so I'm re-posting them.
These pictures are in the collection of the Cincinnati/Hamilton County Public Library. They have a wiki page dedicated to warships on the inland waterways, includes some pictures of LST's, PT's and other boats and ships built on inland waterways, including Dravo in Pittsburgh. I'm guessing that these are in the Cincinnati area on the Ohio River, and, if taken from the Ohio side, the ship is going upriver, which would place the time in late September/early October 1945

Replies:

Subject: hi

Author:
cloverleaf
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/21/10 07:20:40

haven't been allowed to come aboard

Subject: Re: LST-129

Author:
Joe Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/25/10 10:53:38

BTW, who was yout grandfather? I forgot to ask.

Subject: Re: LST-129

Author:
Joe Kelly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/25/10 10:31:54

I served on the LST-129. I was a plank owner and served on board until the ship met her fate in Pelelieu. I know about many of the crew because we had reunions for many years, There aren't many of us left. Feel free to contact me at yeomanjoe@live.net

Subject: THE SITUATION IS IMPROVING ?

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/11/10 16:31:46

I GUESS I HAVE RESIGNED MYSELF TO MY FATE AND AM TRYING TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT. I WILL ADMIT THERE ARE STILL TIMES WHEN IT IS TRYING, BUT I HAVE CREATED DIVERSIONS TO OCCUPY MY TIME. I STILL AM WAITING FOR THE DAY WHEN I GET MY HOUSE BACK BUT FOR NOW IT'S OK.

SO I AM GOING TO RESEARCH THE PACIFIC BATTLES IN DEPTH AND POST SOME INFORMATION HERE .

Subject: Re: For David Fuller - LST 205

Author:
Philip Kosiba (proud)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/11/10 08:50:43

My father served on the LST 205 as a motor machinist mate. He was proud of his ship and the friends he met from the crew. He passed away in September 1998. I have what I believe to be a photo of the 205 as she was headed to the ship breakers from the Hughes Brothers in New Jersey in 1948.

Subject: "Baka" Bomb

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/14/10 13:21:51

Photobucket

This is a captured Japanese "Baka" Bomb. Actually, the Japanese name for it was "Oka" which meant "Cherry Blossom", but the Americans re-named it "Baka" which is Japanese for "Fool." This one was on display in the tank deck of the LST 512 on its war bond tour. The pilot would be locked into the cockpit, the Baka was carried aloft by a 2-engine IJN bomber then released when near enough to a target. It had a rocket assist which gave it a top speed of 480 mph after a 30 second burn. The pilot then steered it toward its target, flying it into the target and killing the pilot at once.
This picture is in the History of the LST 512 booklet I have, however since my copy is a 3rd or 4th generation photocopy, most of the pictures aren't clear like this one.

Subject: 3 More views of LST 512

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/14/10 13:10:44

I came across these 3 pictures today of the LST 512. They are in the collection of the Cincinnati/Hamilton County public library, so I'm hazarding a guess that the ship is on the Ohio River in the Cincinnati area. Guessing also that the road along the river is US 50, on the Ohio side of the river, so it appears that it is going upriver, which would place the time in late September/early October 1945.
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/p_sully214/?action=view¤t=LST512onOhioRiver03.jpg
[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/p_sully214/LST512onOhioRiver02.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/p_sully214/LST512onOhioRiver01.jpg[/IMG]

Subject: Marine Corps M-198 Artillery

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/ 1/10 17:51:46

Replies:

Subject: LST 932

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/ 5/10 17:15:42

"Esso Neuqeun", was build during WWII as a LST-932, craft, as ssen here, for the US Navy.
Rebuild as a tankbarge and renamed "Esso Neuqeun", sold in 1952.
looks like she's carrying a full load !. The Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

Subject: Navy Expertise....

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/08 05:22:13

When the Government needs a "hot shot" who do they call????? Navy "Satellite Smashers" smile...

"By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON, Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON - Military plans to shoot down a damaged U.S. spy satellite carrying toxic fuel will not concern the crew aboard the international space station, commander Peggy Whitson said Saturday.

The military hopes to smash the satellite as soon as next week — just before it enters Earth's atmosphere — with a single missile fired from a Navy cruiser in the northern Pacific Ocean.

It was unclear how close the satellite will be to the space station when it is shot down. NASA referred questions to the Defense Department, which did not immediately return a message seeking clarification."

Subject: Re: Navy Expertise....

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/08 05:19:22

Me too Buddy... it would be awesome to be able to see the system work to protect those who might otherwise have themselves or their property harmed by the breakup of a object entering our atmosphere.

Replies:

Subject: Salerno

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/ 4/10 15:21:40

First photos of an LST (Landing Ship, Tanks), during unloading operations, released by the Coast Guard, shows the massive doors of a giant Coast Guard manned landing craft swung wide open. Over this ramp, rolled the tanks and heavy materiel that pushed the Nazis in from the beach Paestum, south of Salerno, after the Navy and Coast Guard landed the Army.

Subject: 1942 B-17

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/ 4/10 15:04:56

This B-17 was lost in New Guinea in 1942, here it sits today

Subject: Pacific Battles

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05/ 2/10 12:08:56

A 165th Infantry assault wave attacks Butaritari, Yellow Beach Two, finding it slow going in the coral bottom waters while Japanese machine gun fire from the right flank makes it even more difficult. Makin Atoll, Gilbert Islands. November 20, 1943.
Many mistakes were made at the landings on Makin. More on that later.

Subject: I am thinking of another Easter, 65 years ago

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 4/10 03:43:36

"The War Diary of 12 March 1945 notes that the 125 was part of Com 5th Fleet OpPlan No. 1-45, ComPhibsPacOpPlan A1-45, ComPhib GrpFour Movement Order A404-45, ComPhibGrpFour (CTF 53) attack order A404-45. The Brass consisted of Lt. Comdr. Harlan aboard the USS LST 451, Comdr. Ageton aboard USS LC 1081, Captain Laidlaw aboard USS LC 1080, Rear Admirial Reifsnider aboard the USS PANAMONT and the Commanding Officer was Vice Admiral Turner aboard the USS EL DORADO. The 125 took their assigned station as guide of the port column with Red Unit of Tractor Group Able. Ships were in double column formation with USS LST 1013 on the starboard beam as guide of the starboard column. During this voyage, tactical maneuvers were rehearsed from flag hoist signals issued by USS LC 1081. The group entered Ulithi with rough sea conditions. Fresh water was taken on and the ships then departed to sortie with T. U. 51.12.1 enroute to objective. Heavy sea and wind from northeast caused 15 to 20 degree roll, endangering main deck cargo stowage and pontoon barges. All precautions taken to secure all cargo, barges, and small boats by additional lashing and frequent inspection. Loss of cargo at this point of the operation would have been disastrous, but the weather could not be controlled. Numerous times the course of the formation was altered in efforts to decrease the effect of heavy swells. LSTs were tested to maintain stations at the designated convoy speed of 10.5 knots in the adverse weather conditions. In spite of the conditions, on 31 March 1945 the War Diary simply states At 1725 sighted Okinawa Shima bearing 335 Degrees T, approximately thirty miles.

The invasion of Okinawa had begun.

On Easter Sunday, 1 April 1945, there was little time for the shipmates to celebrate the holiday. LST 125, as guide of the outboard port column, moved to the assault area Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands. Beginning at 0200, the ship was at General Quarters. Firing now visible on horizon at 190 Degrees T in vicinity of assault beaches. An OS2U (Kingfisher) crashed 1000 yards off of the starboard bow. At 0535 the group formed approach disposition and headed to the launch area. Bow doors were opened and the ramp was lowered. Tanks were disembarked. The LVCPs were launched with officers to act as wave guides. Cargo gasoline and ammo was loaded into small boats and on amphibious vehicles. Tanks unloaded, the 125 moved to the designated area to launch pontoon barges. The ships company transferred 210 rounds of cargo Navy mortar ammo by small boat. The 125 moved to a designated anchorage 1400 yards west of Green Beach 2. Additional unloading of cargo gasoline and ammo into LVTs took place through the bow doors. For the next 48 hours, the 125 was sporadically making smoke as there were reports of unidentified planes. Heavy A. A. fire was visible at times. All precautions taken between sunset and sunrise to guard against possible attack by suicide boats and swimmers. All cargo mortar ammo was transferred.

Edmond Mayrand shared that this invasion at Okinawa was the only invasion that the 125 as not actually beached on shore. The tanks had their own pontoons which allowed them to float in and the LST to stay a bit off the beach. The pontoons around the tanks were detonated once the tanks reached shore.

Late in the day on 3 April, the 125 moved to Green Beach 2 and beached on a reef to begin unloading rolling stock cargo. Unloading was complicated due to the depth of the water over the reef. Some vehicles had to be towed by tractor through the water to the beach. Three hours into the unloading, orders were received to darken ship and the crew of the 125 began making smoke in preparation for anticipated mass air and parachute attack. Movement further seaward was needed due to the possibility of being set onto a nearby reef by predicted high winds and swells from the northeast. Weather had not improved since the departure from Guadalcanal. Numerous enemy planes were sighted in the area. These frequent air attacks resulted in two of the crew suffering light injuries. Jack Silady shared This is the day after the calm and all hell broke loose. Japs are really sending in the planes. Saw eight go down just around us and who knows how many elsewhere. A few guys were hit by shrapnel and Offineer was taken to Hospital Ship. Fueling, fresh water and supplies were received from the USS PROCYON. A large fire was observed on the beach approximately 2 miles south. Eight days after the invasion began, the 125 received orders to sortie with T. U. 51.29.10 for a return to Guam Island, Marianas. They took station as Division 1 Guide as ordered. Early in the return voyage, a PC dropped depth charges 800 yards of the starboard bow and hoisted submarine contact visual signal. No further contact was made."

In memory...

Replies:

Subject: galley pic.

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 6/10 06:47:40

This picture was taken on the USS RANDOLPH. They are working with a steam jacketed "Cooper" cooking vessel, very large. The standards of clean on the Cooper and the uniforms would never have been allowed in my galley !

Replies:

Subject: Sorry to be absent for a while...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 12:44:17

I'm working hard to finish up all of the events for Amphibs Week to be held in Pittsburgh from September 1 - 6 (Cruises on Sept. 7th, USCG permitting). Hope to have the registration form done within the next week..

Thanks to all for being patient with me... *HUGS* to everyone!

Replies:

Subject: Video The LST Story , This one is good

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/22/09 17:57:05

the lst story

Replies:

Subject: Ernie Pyle

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/14/10 05:49:10

DEATH OF ERNIE PYLE, American war correspondent, took place while he was observing the fighting on Ie Shima. Above he is pictured talking to a Marine infantryman on Okinawa a few hours after its invasion. After the close of the Ryukyus campaign Brig. Gen. Edwin R. Randle, assistant commander of the 77th Division, unveiled a monument (below) over Pyle's grave.

Replies:

Subject: SCAMERS BEWARE, I WILL FIND YOU !!!!!

Author:
THE OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/16/10 08:02:30

IF YOU WANT TO THROW DOWN THE GAUNTLET, THEN LET'S GET TO IT. THE OLD SEA DOG HAS A LONG MEMORY AND A LONG REACH ON THE INTERNET, SO IF YOU COME INTO MY PARLOR THEN YOU SUFFER THE FATE YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE.

Subject: OKINAWA PT. 1

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/14/10 06:19:43

THE INVASION OF OKINAWA (PART 1)

H Hour had been set for 0830. At 0406 Admiral Turner, Commander of Task Force 51, signaled, "Land the Landing Force." 4 At 0530, twenty minutes before dawn, the fire support force of 10 battleships, 9 cruisers, 23 destroyers, and 177 gunboats began the pre-H-Hour bombardment of the beaches. They fired 44,825 rounds of 5-inch or larger shells, 33,000 rockets, and 22,500 mortar shells. This was the heaviest concentration of naval gunfire ever to support a landing of troops. About seventy miles east of Okinawa, Task Force 58 was deployed to furnish air support and to intercept attacks from Kyushu. In addition, support carriers had arrived with troop convoys. At 0745 carrier planes struck the beaches and near-by trenches with napalm.5

Meanwhile LST's and LSM's, which had carried to the target both the men composing the first assault forces and the amphibian vehicles in which they were to ride, spread their yawning jaws and launched their small craft, loaded and ready for the shore. Amphibian tanks formed the first wave at the line of departure, 4,000 yards from the beach. Flagged on their way at 0800, they proceeded toward land at four knots. From five to seven waves of assault troops in amphibian tractors followed the tanks at short intervals.

Opposite each landing beach, control craft, with pennants flying from the mast, formed the assault waves of amphibious vehicles in rotating circles. At 0815 the leading waves of amtracks uncoiled and formed a line near their mother control craft. Five minutes later the pennants were hauled down and an almost unbroken 8-mile line of landing craft moved toward the beaches.

Gunboats led the way in, firing rockets, mortars, and 40-mm. guns into prearranged target squares, on such a scale that all the landing area for 1,000 yards inland was blanketed with enough 5-inch shells, 4.5-inch rockets, and 4.2-inch mortars to average 25 rounds in each 100-yard square. Artillery fire from Keise added its weight. After approaching the reef, the gunboats turned aside and the amphibian tanks and tractors passed through them and proceeded unescorted, the tanks firing their 75-mm. howitzers at targets of opportunity directly ahead of them until landing. Simultaneously, two 64-plane groups of carrier planes saturated the landing beaches and the areas immediately behind with machine-gun fire while the fire from supporting ships shifted inland. When the assault wave moved in, the landing area had been under constant bombardment for three hours.

Subject: cave positions

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/14/10 05:46:26

The Cave Positions

Subject: Le Shima + Okinawa

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/14/10 05:43:33

Ie Shima is an island off Okinawa and was an objective during the assualt on Okinawa
........................................................................................................................................

NVASION OF IE SHIMA was well prepared but met considerable opposition. Assault boats (above) approach the island as supporting shell fire is lifted from the beaches and moved inland. Eight hundred yards inland from Red Beach 2 were these cave positions (below), around which the 305th RCT, 77th Division, was engaged in an infantry-demolition fight until nightfall of 16 April.

Subject: LST 241 photo at Roi

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 18:36:33

Replies:

Subject: Mars Satellite Phobos

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/11/10 07:00:51

(thanks to Enterprise Mission, Richard C. Hoagland)
Phobos is an object orbiting Mars, some say it is hollow with surface indications of civilization from billions of years ago. I do not know for certain and neither does anyone else. You must judge for yourself. Anyway a remarkable picture.

Subject: LST 166 DATA + PICTURES

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 7/10 18:44:44

LST 166 US COAST GUARD MANNED

Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons
- Navy Unit Commendation
- American Campaign Medal
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (3)
- World War II Victory Medal
- Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia clasp)
# LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship: Laid down, 7 September 1942, at Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co., Evansville, IN.

# Launched, 1 February 1943
# Commissioned USS LST-166, 22 April 1943, LT. F. B. Bradley, USCG, in command
# During World War II LST-166 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and participated in the:

* Treasury Island-Bougainville operation;
(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina, December 1943
* Marianas operation;
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan, June 1944
* Okinawa Gunto operation;
(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto, April 1945

# Following World War II LST-166 performed occupation duty in the Far East until the fall of 1945
# Decommissioned, 3 May 1946
# Struck from the Naval Register, 19 June 1946
# Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 3 November 1947, to Dulien Steel Products, Inc., Seattle, WA.
# LST-166 earned three battle stars for World War II service
.................................................................................................

CREW PICTURE

Replies:

Subject: Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 6/10 07:54:41

Casualty from Iwo Jima being buried at sea. Aboard the USS Hansford. USS Hansford used as Hospital ship to evacuate wounded. Feb. 26, 1945

Replies:

Subject: Good Friday 1959

Author:
Buddy LST 1126 (:-0)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 4/10 11:58:37

The 1945 posting of Easter by SeaBat reminded me of a Good Friday event I had in 1959. I had bought a 1958 Chevy Impala two tone blue 2 door about 6 -8 months before the Good Friday of 1969. I had met this girl at a Beach Club called Ocean Terrace and we had hit it off really good. We both liked to dance the shag and fit well together on the floor. Anyway when the place was closing she invited me to go to where their college house party was down the road about 8 - 10 miles and I of course accepted. Some of her friends left with another party driving a 58 Ford Thunderbird just after we did. She wanted to drive and I, of course, let her. As we were going down the highway about 60 MPH or so the Thunderbird started to pass us. She floored the Chevy in an attempt to keep them from passing. Our speeds got up to 80+ and she ran off the right side of the road. When she tried to jerk it back on the road the wheels caught the higher pavement and we started to roll, probably 4 or 5 times I guess and the car ended on it's wheels. We got out and were unhurt even though no seat belts were on the car. We climbed into the Thunderbird and went on to the house party. Somehow a Highway Patrolman learned where we were and came by to give me a ticket. He ended up giving her a ticket when she told him that she was driving ... and didn't even have a drivers license. I got me another 1958 Chevy Impala Black with a white top that lasted much longer than the first one. Yeah, we were lucky on Good Friday, but sore on Saturday and Easter Sunday.

Subject: hello

Author:
cloverleaf
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 3/10 10:49:38

wanted to say ''HAPPY EASTER''.
i lost a bro in march,haven't been here much.

Replies:

Subject: A possible additional benefit for Veterans...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 4/10 03:14:01

DD FORM 214 -- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFIT Please share this
with anyone who had active duty service between January 1957 to December 31, 2001 and planning for retirement. In a nutshell it boils down to this:

You qualify for a higher social security payment because of
your Military service, for active duty any time from 1957
through 2001 (the program was done away with 1 January 2002). Up to $1200 per year of earnings credit credited at time of application - which can make a substantial difference in social security monthly payments upon your
retirement. You must bring your DD-214 to the Social Security Office and you must ask for this benefit to receive it!

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm

This is something to put in your files for when you apply for Social Security down the road.. It is NOT just for retirees, BUT anyone who has served on active duty between January 1957 to December 31, 2001.

FYI - this benefit is not automatic, you must ask for it!
We've all been on active duty between 1957 and 2001 or know someone who has.

Passing on good information for all you military folks when
you apply for social security.

Subject: OK BUDDY, IT'S GONE !

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04/ 2/10 09:09:05

BUDDY: THE OFFENDING MESSAGE IS GONE AND IN THE FUTURE I WILL NOT POST ANYTHING THAT COULD BE A PROBLEM FOR ANYBODY, OK ?.

OSD

Replies:

Subject: LST 241 damage

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 18:47:25

Damaged by accidental US Naval gunfire at Okinawa:

* The battleship USS North Carolina (BB-55),
* The light cruiser USS Pasadena (Cl-65)
* The submarine chaser PCS-1390
* The attack transport USS Barnett (APA-5)
* The attack cargo ship USS Leo (AKA-60) and * LST 241
* LST 1000

Subject: A Request from The Old Sea Dog

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 15:44:50

I am trying to locate an old friend, Don Heinze. He was in the Marine Corps and saw action on Okinawa. I lost track of Don years ago and would like to know where he is today,or if he has passed away. He was from Chico, California, and the last I heard he worked for the B.L.M. . Any information on Don out there ?.

The Old Sea Dog

Subject: LST 241

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 15:27:54

LST-241
............................................................................................
- Combat Action Ribbon (retroactive, Iwo Jima)
- American Campaign Medal
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (6)
- World War II Victory Medal
- Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia clasp)
..............................................................................................
# LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship Laid down, 8 March 1943, at Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Co., Evansville, IN.
# Launched, 29 June 1943
# Commissioned USS LST-241, 31 July 1943, Lt. James A. Shaw, USNR, in command
# During World War II LST-241 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater LST Flotilla Five (Capt. G.B. Carter, USN), Group Fifteen (Cdr. V. K. Busck, USN) and participated in the:
Gilbert Islands operation
Tarawa, November and December 1943
Iwo Jima operation
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima, February 1945
Marshall Islands operation
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls, February 1944
Marianas operation
Capture and occupation of Guam, July 1944
Hollandia operation April 1944
Okinawa Gunto operation
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto, April 1945
........................................................................................................
# Following World War II LST-241 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-October 1945
# Decommissioned, 7 March 1946
# Struck from the Naval Register, 5 June 1946
# Final Disposition, sold for scrapping, 29 September 1947, to Southern Shipwrecking Co., New Orleans, LA.
# LST-241 earned six battle stars for World War II service
LST 241 AT ROI

Replies:

Subject: From a Salty Old Marine RE: LST 241

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/30/10 12:39:01

Howdy, I'm David and, per chance is Kas, whom served aboard LST 241 still around? My father was in the Black "Gang on 241.... Clyde E. Cheek 1943-1944....he passed in '85......I'm trying to find related materials and photo's of LST 241, during her campaigns and, history. Your help would be appreciated.

Respectfully

David J. Cheek"

If anyone has any information, please post it here or contact me through the Forum Administrator link at the top of the page. Thanks!

Subject: St.. Patrick's Day

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/16/10 15:04:56

May you have:
A world of wishes at your command
God and his angels close at hand
Friends and family their love impart,
And Irish blessings in you heart.

Replies:

Subject: 1960'S A BOMB TESTS AT JOHNSON ISLAND

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07/13/09 18:25:02

When the bombs were set off at Johnson Island in the 60's, an Electro-Magnetic-Pulse (EMP) took down the power grid in Hawaii 800 miles away. This was one of the first times this effect was seen. The EMP affected the power grid the instant the bomb went off, but in Hawaii all they saw was a red sky in the direction of Johnson Island.I'll bet you never saw this in the news.
OSD

Replies:

Subject: 1940 CBS Radio "The Battle of Great Britain"

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/21/10 17:42:42

CBS Radio - WWII Battle of Britain 1940
click on the play arrow to hear the news broadcast

Replies:

Subject: Cloverleaf, The Iwo Jima Flag

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/16/10 18:37:34

Cloverleaf: The Iwo Jima Flag is preserved at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia

Replies:

Subject: hello

Author:
cloverleaf
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/16/10 05:15:01

hi guys

i may have missed it,but where is the original flag from iawo jima?

Replies:
  • Re: hello -- SSgt (Ret) (Devil Dog), 03/25/10 15:18:26

Subject: Print "The First Flag Raising"

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 9/10 14:24:35

Replies:

Subject: A different angle picture of Iwo Jima flag raising

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 9/10 10:57:29

It looks like one group of Marines is taking down the first flag, which was on a piece of pipe, and behind them is the group of Marines raising the second flag, in the famous picture. What do you think ?.

I have not seen this one before.
OSD

Replies:

Subject: from Greg Stetz

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 5/10 17:13:58

Replies:

Subject: russian craft "the caspian sea monster"

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/22/10 18:42:21

Subject: LST 325 stranded at low tide

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/22/10 11:01:17

Normandy

Subject: OKINAWA TYPHOONS 1945

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/19/10 08:06:01

On Sunday September 16th the first typhoon struck us. The typhoon started early that morning, and it was not until the next day that it blew itself out. Tents were blown down, material destroyed and covered with water and mud. And we were all wet and miserable and our personal belongins all but ruined. The wind blew with the horrible sound of giant furry unleashed and torrents of water poured down the hills. The men, stripped down to the skin, worked furiously in the open in vain attemps to stake down and reinforce their tents. For twenty four hours the storm raged and then subsided leaving us shelterless and wet. The Navy reported gusts as high as one hundred miles per hour.

On September 20th our mail which had been delayed for over two months finally arrived and it was heartening to hear from home again. About this time, we were transferred from the Tenths Army's jurisdiction to the arm of the Western Pacific Command. During the next weeks construction details worked grading, dozing and sweeping mines in our new area some distance away. We were almost ready for the change, when on October 9th a furious typhoon struck the island without warning. On midnight it began with a furious rain squall. Then the wind started to howl. At first we thought it was just another heavy storm buth when the tents began to collaspe in terrific gusts of wind we realized that it was another typhoon.

Now the wind began to sweep the island with a fury which was unimaginable and when it seemed that the intensity of each gust had reached its climax, winds even greater proportions would follow. In a few hours, every tent in the area was down and heavy timbers, cots and personal belongins filled the air. The men sought shelter in caves and tombs all night long and many huddled out in the open hanging on to trees or vehicles to keep from being blown away. Our tents were unsafe and the tresses and cross poles broke and lashed wildly about. Damage to life and property was high. Almost every shelter from tent to quonset hut had been destroyed. The great steel radio towers overlooking Naha had snapped and now stood twisted and bent. On the beaches many ships had piled up and on the reefs lay others twisted and torn. Our belongings lay ruined covered with mud and saturated with water. Possessions, supplies, and equipment had all been destroyed. Losses ran into millions of dollars.

The next day we tried to salvage what pitiful remains were left but is was futile and we moved right over to our new area. In the nexe days it was revealed that seventy five per cent of all Army equipment on the island had been destroyed. The 8th Air Force reported heavy damage. The Navy was hard hit. The hospitals were down and casualties were heavy. General Stilwell asked Washington to evacuate the island personnel. Shelter and food wer flown in from the States and from Guam and Siapan by B-29.

Subject: LST IN TROUBLE !

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/19/10 07:49:01

FROM USS LIPAN PAGE.
07/04/53 Left Sasebo Japan for Cheju Do, Korea, site of a North Korean POW camp. A USNS LST, which had a hold loaded with beer, was aground. Apparently GIs unloading the beer got lazy and had the North Korean POWs unload it. The POWs got drunk and decided to do something for their “cause,” and took over the LST. They couldn’t do anything with it after they got it. Couldn’t start it or sail it, so they took an ax and cut the cable to the grounding anchor off the stern.

We tried several methods to get a line to the LST. High surf caused us to set both bow anchors in deep water and back down towards beach until we slapped the sandy bottom with every wave. We tried to float a rubber raft, with three deck hands, pulling a small painter line. Once they hit the surf they swamped, dumping them. The raft was gone but the 3 men in life jackets were tethered to the painter line. We pulled them back to the ship, just about drowning them in the process. The photo shows the men in the water as we attempt to retrieve them.

Subject: LST - Landing Ship Tank

Author:
Robert B. Adams
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/12/10 03:03:20

LST - Landing Ship Tank

Landing Ship Tank, abbreviation LST, naval ship specially designed to transport and deploy troops, vehicles, and supplies onto foreign shores for the conduct of offensive military operations. LSTs were designed during World War II to disembark military forces without the use of dock facilities or the various cranes and lifts necessary to unload merchant ships. They gave the Allies the ability to conduct amphibious invasions at any location on a foreign shore that had a gradually sloped beach. This ability permitted the Allies to assault poorly defended sectors, thereby achieving operational surprise and in some cases even tactical surprise.
Specially designed landing ships were first employed by the British in "Operation Torch," the invasion of North Africa in 1942. The British recognized the need for such ships after the debacle at Dunkirk in 1940, when they left behind tons of badly needed equipment because no vessels were available with the capability to bridge the gap between the sea and the land. Following the evacuation, Prime Minister Winston Churchill sent his minister of supply a memorandum posing the question "What is being done about designing and planning vessels to transport tanks across the sea for a British attack on enemy countries? These must be able to move six or seven hundred vehicles in one voyage and land them on the beach, or, alternatively, take them off the beaches. . . ." As an interim measure, three shallow-draft tankers were converted to LSTs. The bows were redesigned so that a door, hinged at the bottom, and a 68-foot- (21-metre-) long double ramp could be fitted to the vessels. These modifications made it possible for vehicles to disembark directly from the ship to the beach. Both the new design and the vessel were considered unsatisfactory, but the concept was sound. At the request of the British, the Americans undertook the redesign and production of LSTs in November 1941, and John Niedermair of the Bureau of Ships designed a ship with a large ballast system. Deep-draft ships were necessary to cross the ocean, and shallow-draft vessels were required to bridge the water gap. A new proposed ballast system gave one ship both capabilities: when at sea, the LST took on water for stability, and when conducting landing operations, the water was pumped out to produce a shallow-draft vessel. The American-built LST Mk2, or LST(2), was 328 feet in length and 50 feet wide. It could carry 2,100 tons. Built into the bow were two doors that opened outward to a width of 14 feet. Most Allied vehicles could be transported on, and off-loaded from LST(2)s. The lower deck was the tank deck, where 20 Sherman tanks could be loaded. Lighter vehicles were carried on the upper deck. An elevator was used to load and off-load vehicles, artillery, and other equipment from the upper deck; in later models, a ramp replaced the elevator. The vessel was powered by two diesel engines, and it had a maximum speed of 11.5 knots and a cruising speed of 8.75 knots. LSTs were lightly armed with a variety of weapons. A typical American LST was armed with seven 40-millimetre and 12 20-millimetre antiaircraft guns.
The first mass-produced American LST, the LST-1, was commissioned on December 14, 1942. One thousand fifty-one LST(2)s were produced in American shipyards during the war. Construction time declined, so that by 1945 it took approximately two months to construct an LST--half the time it took in 1943. Through lend-lease the British were provided 113 LST(2)s. LSTs were in great demand in both the Pacific and Europe. They were used in the invasions at Sicily, Italy, Normandy, and southern France. At Normandy, the Americans' employment of LSTs enabled them to meet their off-loading requirements following the destruction of their Mulberry artificial harbour in a storm. In the Southwest Pacific theatre, General Douglas MacArthur employed LSTs in his "island hopping campaigns" and in the invasion of the Philippines. In the Central Pacific, Admiral Chester Nimitz used them at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. LST(2)s served as troop ships, ammunition ships, hospital ships, repair ships, and numerous other special purposes. A number of LST(2)s were even fitted with flight decks for small reconnaissance aircraft. During the war 26 LSTs were lost in action, and 13 more were lost in accidents and rough seas.
Numerous other types of landing ships were produced by the British and Americans during the war. Examples are: the Landing Ship, Infantry (Large), or LSI(L), named Auxiliary Personnel Attack Ship (APA) by the U.S. Navy; the Landing Ship, Headquarters, or LSH, named Command Ship by the U.S. Navy; Landing Ship, Dock, or LSD; and Landing Ship, Medium, or LSM. Some vessels called landing ships did not have the capability to off-load troops and supplies onto beaches; they were in fact simply transports or command-and-control vessels.
During the Korean War, LSTs were employed in the Inchon Landing. Limited numbers of LSTs were produced in the 1950s and '60s. The most prominent were the diesel-powered Newport LSTs, which were built for the U.S. Navy in the 1960s. These vessels displaced more than 8,000 tons full load and transported amphibious craft, tanks, and other combat vehicles, along with 400 men, at speeds of up to 20 knots. Such speeds were made possible by abandoning the bow doors of their World War II predecessors in favour of an extendable ramp supported by huge projecting derrick extensions on each side of the bow. As the ship beached, the ramp would shoot forward hydraulically 112 feet. Vehicles and troops would land over the ramp, while amphibious craft in the tank deck would disembark from stern gates.
BIBLIOGRAPHY. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, vol. 7 ed. by James L. Mooney (1981), contains information on the types, names, designations, developments, and purposes of all American naval ships. Melvin D. Barger, Large Slow Target: A History of the LST, vol. 1 (1986), is devoted to the history and accomplishments of the landing ships. Information on landing ships employed in World War II may be found in Roger Chesneau (ed.), Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships, 1922-1946 (1980); and Brian Macdermott, Ships Without Names: The Story of the Royal Navy's Tank Landing Ships of World War Two (1992). Winston S. Churchill, The Second World War, vol. 2, Their Finest Hour (1949, reissued 1985), tells of the author's actions to push the development of the landing ships.

Replies:

Subject: Saipan Photo

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/27/09 12:46:57

Marine PFC Raymond Hubert using an unexploded 16-inch naval shell for a resting place while shaking a 3-day accumulation of sand from his boot.
Saipan,Marianas Islands; July 4,1944.

Replies:

Subject: Re: Bosun, Pipe All Hands

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 1/10 13:38:05

Some kind of glitch, I only got it to play about 3 seconds before the sound blanked out.
I bought my Dad a bos'n's pipe in '72, he could still pipe most of the calls 27 years after he got discharged.

Replies:

Subject: Seabat, film of the LST 125 on the beach, Peleliu

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 3/10 19:52:46

Seabat: at 2:34 into this video you will see the 125 on the beach !.

Replies:

Subject: THE PACIFIC

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/14/10 10:47:53

Part 1 of 10 airs tonight on HBO at 9 p.m.

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific/episodes/0/01-part-1/article/historical-background

Subject: Ghostly Christmas...

Author:
From my friend Bob Pointer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/20/09 16:30:00

Bob is a friend and fellow volunteer on LST 325. I asked if I could share his most recent poem with you... I had goosebumps.. and then a tear.

Twas the night before Christmas
and throughout the ship
not a person was stirring
not a sound from a lip

The racks were all empty
the decks were all bare
the lights were all out
just some red ones here and there

The volunteers were gone
at home with their family
There was no one else aboard I chuckled
cept maybe a few ghosts and me

I looked out of a porthole
and slowly let out a sigh
I saw that it was snowing
large flakes were drifting by

I was locking down LST 325
It was closed for the holiday
just a few more things to check
and I'll be on my way

When up on the main deck
there rose such a clatter
I ran up two ladders
to go see what was the matter.

I ran past the galley
ran right past the head
turned starboard at the Wardroom
un-dogged the door by the Captains bed

Outside I find silence
just wind blowing through the lines
the lapping of waves on the hull
like I've heard so many times

The moon on the crest of the new fallen snow
cast a hypnotic like luster to the deck below
When what to my wondering eyes did appear
but a deck full of soldiers with their packs and their gear.

There were Sailors setting the sea detail
the rails were guarded by Marines
it seemed we were getting underway
Was it real or in my dreams?

I walked up to a lonely private
I ask what was going on here
He turned around to me and said
We do this once a year

We went to sea on this LST
but never made it home
we died on foreign beaches
but we did not die alone

Many years before our time
our Savior paid the price
He promised he would be with us
through all our trials and strife

Like the Shepards did before us
we set course for that Eastern Star
at journeys end we worship him
like the others did from afar

Was I dreaming or was it real
I really did not know
slowly the soldiers began to fade
the private said now I too must go

One thing I ask before I leave
something you must do
remember us on Christmas Eve
and the Savior who died for you

The night air was crisp and silent
as I stood alone on the deck
snow still falling around me
cold wind blowing down my neck

Suddenly I heard the ships bell ring
but no one was in sight
I could have sworn I heard the private say
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

BP 09

Replies:

Subject: Pic.s

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/13/10 17:48:13

photo below shows LST 794 on the beach at Okinawa, together with LST 796, LST 843, and LST 1030. This photo was taken in July 1945, after the island was secured.

LST 1 going "down river"

Subject: WWII In Color - Iwo Jima

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/13/10 00:30:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcDIMrd6eE

Subject: classic picture

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/10/10 18:17:30

Replies:

Subject: LST 788 and the Texas Coast Guard

Author:
Greg Stetz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/ 3/10 11:52:58

My grandfather served on the LST 788 in WWII as a member of the Texas Coast Guard. After the war, he and my grandmother divorced and my mother saw little of him. When my mother got married she moved to Minnesota putting more distance between them. I can only remember seeing him a few times before his death. He died in 1978. From time to time, I will try to find information or photographs relating to the LST 788. About three years ago, my step-grandmother gave my mother some of grandpa's photographs. I helped her put them on photobucket. There are 95 pictures of WWII and 5 that we think were from WWI (they would be my great grandfather.) If anyone can give us information about the ship's service or even better yet, of his service it would mean a lot to our family. His name was Hugh Vernon Cox, I think he went by Vernon though. If you would like to view his photographs, go to www.photobucket.com and search for janstetz. It will tell you that there are no photographs by that name and lower on the page it will ask if you would like to view this user's albums. you will find a bunch of training photos and a few from the ship including one where another ship is burning. We think this may have been off Iwo Jima. Thank you for your time and I hope you find some of this of interest.

Replies:

Subject: pic.s

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 9/10 13:58:26

LST 123 at New Guinea

Can't make out the number

Subject: WWII In Color

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 9/10 13:11:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=9dR3h2HdnBQ

I know this is an amphibs site, this one shows off the airedales...I think there are more of these in YouTube

Subject: Pictures

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 9/10 11:46:05

LST 942

LST 219 at New Guinea

A Japanese mini sub #51 captured somewhere, torpedos still in it.

Subject: It's almost that time again...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/23/09 12:39:24

and we hear from Radio Central and the Signal Bridge that once again we can track Santa's journey courtesy of the people at Norad. Santa, as always, is guided by that Star in the east - one that commemorates the birth of a babe so rare. A babe that gave the ultimate gift of generosity almost 2,000 years ago.

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/index.html

(In addition to tracking Santa, there is a section for fun activities for the little ones)

Merry Christmas to all!

Replies:

Subject: LST 134

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 8/10 08:54:02

LST 134

American trucks, which will carry supplies to the front lines when the assault against Hitler's Europe begins, are loaded onto LST's in a British Harbor.

Subject: LST 788

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 6/10 16:44:57

Subject: one mile kill shot !

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 3/10 19:15:05

Replies:

Subject: LST 725 crew members

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/10 20:19:10

taken aboard LST 725

Replies:

Subject: The Pacific

Author:
Paul Sullenberger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 1/10 13:44:12

HBO has a new series starting March 14, "The Pacific." My understanding is that it will be in a similar vein as "Band of Brothers." WWII started and ended in the Pacific, and for the most part, it was the Navy's and Marine Corps' war.

Replies:

Subject: The Sheraton Station Square...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03/ 2/10 12:13:01

is the place to be September 1 - 7, 2010!

The Sheraton Station Square is the host hotel for Amphibs Week events! This hotel is very well maintained, clean, neat and has a wonderful atmosphere of welcome for you Sailors and your wives. The staff is anxious to please and look forward to our visit. It promises to be an outstanding visit to Pittsburgh and LST 325!

The room rates are $85.00 per night plus tax, we have received a reduced rate on parking, and will have our banquet on Monday evening. The hospitality room will be open every day; Jo and Steve Watt are working hard on making it a place that you can relax, swap sea stories, meet old friends and make new ones. The Sheraton wants to make sure we have a wonderful event and will make every effort to assure we are all comfortable and well cared for.

The hotel itself is in the same block as the train station - many of you who picked up your LSTs at AmBridge or Dravo probably came through that station! There are many restaurants of various price ranges within a block of the hotel and of course the hotel has a dining room of it's own. There is also a coffee stand that sells coffee, juices, bagels and danish and other items. A small gift shop is near the coffee shop. There is a Subway Sandwich shop, the Hard Rock Cafe and a little Restaurant called Island House that are all within a 1/2 block of the hotel if you want a change from the hotel dining facilities. For hotel amenities, please see the link below.

Attendees can now call in to reserve guest rooms. The system is set up to call the room block LST 325 AMPHIBS WEEK. BE SURE YOU SPECIFY LST 325 AMPHIBS WEEK to get the group rate. Call 1-800-325-3535 to make reservations. Everyone makes their own hotel reservations, it is NOT going to be listed on the Activities Itinerary as an option, only the registration and tour packages. (Tour information will be coming out soon and we'll have a registration form placed on the website. We're waiting on pricing for one or two events and then that can be published.)

If you want to view the hotel's website, click on the link below.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=693

Please note that Amphibs Week will run from September 1 - 6; IF approved, River Cruises will take place September 7th. The ship will be open for tours the entire stay in Pittsburgh, so the crew members will be busy! The people of Pittsburgh are excited to have LST 325 visit and are looking forward to sharing everything Pittsburgh has to offer!

Subject: Lest We Forget.. OSD didn't!

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/23/10 13:24:00

Six Boys And Thirteen Hands...

Each year I am hired to go to Washington , DC , with the eighth grade class from Clinton , WI where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima , Japan , during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperons piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, 'Where are you guys from?'

I told him that we were from Wisconsin . 'Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story.'

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC, to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who had passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible monuments filled with history in Washington , DC , but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.)

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak.. (Here are his words that night.)

'My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin . My dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called 'Flags of Our Fathers' which is #5 on the New York Times Best Seller list right now. It is the story of the six boys you see behind me.

'Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player.. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game. A game called 'War.' But it didn't turn out to be a game. Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are people who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old - and it was so hard that the ones who did make it home never even would talk to their families about it.

(He pointed to the statue) 'You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared. He was 18 years old. It was just boys who won the battle of Iwo Jima .. Boys. Not old men.

'The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys.. They called him the 'old man' because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

Arizona. Ira Hayes was one who walked off Iwo Jima .. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?'

So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes carried the pain home with him and eventually died dead drunk, face down at the age of 32 (ten years after this picture was taken).

'The next guy, going around the statue, is Franklin Sousley from Hilltop, Kentucky . A fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. His best friend, who is now 70, told me, 'Yeah, you know, we took two cows up on the porch of the Hilltop General Store. Then we strung wire across the stairs so the cows couldn't get down. Then we fed them Epsom salts. Those cows crapped all night.' Yes, he was a fun-lovin' hillbilly boy. Franklin died on Iwo Jima at the age of 19. When the telegram came to tell his mother that he was dead, it went to the Hilltop General Store. A barefoot boy ran that telegram up to his mother's farm. The neighbors could hear her scream all night and into the morning. Those neighbors lived a quarter of a mile away.

'The next guy, as we continue to go around the statue, is my dad, John Bradley, from Antigo, Wisconsin , where I was raised. My dad lived until 1994, but he would never give interviews. When Walter Cronkite's producers or the New York Times would call, we were trained as little kids to say 'No, I'm sorry, sir, my dad's not here. He is in Canada fishing. No, there is no phone there, sir. No, we don't know when he is coming back.' My dad never fished or even went to Canada . Usually, he was sitting there right at the table eating his Campbell's soup.

'You see, like Ira Hayes, my dad didn't see himself as a hero.. Everyone thinks these guys are heroes, 'cause they are in a photo and on a monument. My dad knew better. He was a medic. John Bradley from Wisconsin was a caregiver. In Iwo Jima he probably held over 200 boys as they died. And when boys died in Iwo Jima, they writhed and screamed, without any medication or help with the pain.

'When I was a little boy, my third grade teacher told me that my dad was a hero. When I went home and told my dad that, he looked at me and said, 'I want you always to remember that the heroes of Iwo Jima are the guys who did not come back. Did NOT come back.'

'So that's the story about six nice young boys. Three died on Iwo Jima, and three came back as national heroes. Overall, 7,000 boys died on Iwo Jima in the worst battle in the history of the Marine Corps. My voice is giving out, so I will end here. Thank you for your time.'

Suddenly, the monument wasn't just a big old piece of metal with a flag sticking out of the top. It came to life before our eyes with the heartfelt words of a son who did indeed have a father who was a hero.. Maybe not a hero for the reasons most people would believe, but a hero nonetheless.

One thing I learned while on tour with my 8th grade students in DC that is not mentioned here is .. . that if you look at the statue very closely and count the number of 'hands' raising the flag, there are 13. When the man who made the statue was asked why there were 13, he simply said the 13th hand was the hand of God."

We need to remember that God created this vast and glorious world for us to live in, freely, but also at great sacrifice.

Let us never forget from the Revolutionary War to the current War on Terrorism, peacetime and all the wars in-between that sacrifice was made for our freedom.

Remember to pray praises for this great country of ours and also pray for those still in murderous unrest around the world..

STOP and thank God for being alive and being free at someone else's sacrifice.

God Bless You and God Bless America ...

REMINDER: Everyday that you can wake up free, it's going to be a great day.

Great story - worth your time - worth every American's time - Heroes - without their sacrifice the USA would be an entirely different place to live.

Replies:

Subject: Normandy

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/26/10 16:50:10

Normandy

Replies:

Subject: seeking LST-51 info or pics

Author:
N.B.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/23/10 21:57:49

Ive been doing research on LST-51 and I have been able to find very, very little about this ship. I can find only a picture of it being loaded (poor quality) and its officers, and the details of where it was built etc ... Does anyone have any other info, photos, details? Info on the crew would also be welcome, as I'm researching this for someone who had a family member serve on the ship.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: LST 51 information

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/24/10 17:32:46

LST-51
LST-51 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 22 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles A. Ward; and commissioned on 8 December 1943. During World War II, LST-51 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:

Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Invasion of southern France—August and September 1944

She was then assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and supported the occupation of Okinawa during May and June 1945.

When the USS LST-325 visited Moline recently, Bernard Steiner of Geneseo found himself in a familiar position ... at the wheel. During World War II, Steiner served as helmsman on the USS LST-51.

Following the war, LST-51 performed occupation duty in the Far East until March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 20 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa.
LST-51 earned three battle stars for World War II service.
...................................................................................................................

George Macartney Hunter 1918-1984
..................................................................................................
Hunter became the captain of the LST 51
During the massive Amphibious Fleet reorganization and build-up, Hunter was promoted to Lieutenant and given an ever-increasing succession of responsibilities. During this period, Hunter quickly specialized in the operation of the LST ship (Landing-Ship, Tank). First, he learned the navigation, operation and maneuvering of a single LST, eventually graduating to operations of LSTs in groups. Some of the positions he held during 1943 - 1944 were First Lieutenant, LST Group Ten (Flotilla 10), First Lieutenant, LST Training Group One, Division Commander, LST Training Group Four, Division Commander, LST Training Group Fifty Nine, Division Commander, LST Group Thirty, (Flotilla 10) and finally, Commanding Officer, USS LST-51 and overall Commander of LST Group Thirty

Subject: Navy Tomcats over Mt. Surabachi

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/18/10 18:24:52

on the right side you can see the beach where all the LSTs were during the assualt.

Subject: Re: Iwo Jima

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/21/10 12:25:54

Good to see you cloverleaf! OSD is the master of information retrieval, isn't he?

Replies:

Subject: LST 472

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/20/10 15:39:42

USS LST-472

Combat Action Ribbons (retroactive, 11 August - 24 September 1943)
Navy Unit Commendation
American Campaign Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (6)
World War II Victory Medal
Philippines Liberation Medal
CAMPAIGNS
Consolidation of southern Solomons, June 1943
Hollandia operation, April 1944
New Georgia operation:
New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation, July 1943
Western New Guinea operations:
Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operations, May 1944
Biak Island operation, June 1944
Noemfoor Island operation, July 1944
Cape Sansapor operation, August 1944
Morotai landings, December 1944
Treasury-Bougainville operation:
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina, November and December 1943 Luzon operation:
Mindoro landings, 21 December 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
Green Island landing, 15 to 19 February 1944

# Final disposition, sunk during action with the enemy off Mindoro Island, Philippines, 21 December 1944
# Struck from the Naval Register 19 January 1945
# USS LST-472 earned seven battle stars for World War II service

LST 472 ON FIRE AND SINKING AFTER KAMAKAZE ATTACK OFF MINDORO ISLAND.

Replies:

Subject: The First Flag

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/19/10 16:31:51

Look at those LSTs on the beach, in the distance !

Subject: FEB. 19, 1945 , IWO JIMA LANDING

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/19/10 16:27:24

February 19, 1945 - U.S. Marines invade Iwo Jima.
We all know what happened on that Pacific island. The IJN had dug into the depths of Mt. Surabachi and created a complex of tunnels, rooms and sniper hideouts. Their resistance was begun as the allied forces approached their positions.
...................................................................................
Iwo Jima is a small volcanic island, a mere 700 miles from Tokyo. Its location made the taking of it crucial to the United State's further plans in the war. It would come at a cost. For three days straight the island was relentlessly pounded by battleships, cruisers and planes from the aircraft carrier. When America thought it safe ground troops were sent in, however 3,000 casualties resulted in the first day. The island of Iwo Jima is honeycombed with caves and concrete pill boxes, so much so that the prior bombardment had done little to the 20,000 Japanese defenders.
The job of the invasion was that of General Harry Schmidt, and the Fourth and Fifth Marine Divisions. Within four hellish days of fighting the marines had pushed to the top of Mount Suribachi. Here they raised the United States flag, and photographer Joe Rosenberg would take the snap shot that would become one of the most famous images to ever come out of World War II.
Despite this inspirational moment the fighting was far from over. The marines continued fighting the dug-in Japanese soldiers from hole to hole and cave to cave. Soon U.S. soldiers were issued satchel charges filled with dynamite and napalm to force the Japanese out of their holes. By the time the Americans had successfully captured the island only 200 fanatic Japanese soldiers were taken prisoner. The rest had preferred death before defeat.

American Losses at Iwo Jima
Estimated loss of 33% of landing party
Deaths 5,885
Casualties 17,272

Subject: SPACE, THE FINAL FRONTIER

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/19/10 15:40:28

The Andromeda Galaxy

The immense Andromeda galaxy, also known as Messier 31 or simply M31, is captured in full in this new image from NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer.

Subject: Is there ANYBODY out there ?

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/10 05:09:03

Or am I just doing this for myself ?.

Replies:

Subject: LST 725

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/10 17:55:11

Topside LST-725. Second Amphib (DUKW) Truck Co. enroute Okinawa, March 1945.

Replies:

Subject: crossroads Baker explosion

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/17/10 17:48:37

Subject: Iwo Beach

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/ 2/10 17:30:31

"Smashed by Jap mortar and shellfire, trapped by Iwo's treacherous black-ash sands, amtracs and other vehicles of warlay knocked out on the black sands of the volcanic fortress." Iwo Jima,, PhoM3c. Robert M. Warren, ca. February/March" 2/45.

Replies:

Subject: A Sailor Returns to The Sea

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/29/10 18:34:43

WWII veteran reunited with former shipmates

YOKOSUKA, Japan — When the submarine USS Ohio surfaced at sea and Machinist Mate 1st Class Jason Witty emerged from the hatch to look around, he saw calm, blue water under a peaceful sky — perfect for the solemn task he was about to perform.

On the map, the Bangor-based Ohio was afloat in just another indistinguishable expanse of the Pacific Ocean. As Witty, of Puyallup, stood on deck holding a silver pitcher, the vessel was alone.

Just like the ill-fated USS Indianapolis, 63 years earlier.

The pitcher contained the ashes of Witty's grandfather, Boatswain Mate 2nd Class Eugene Morgan, who had survived the sinking of the Indianapolis — one of the worst tragedies for the U.S. Navy in World War II.

Morgan, a Seattle firefighter, had died of a heart attack in June at age 87, just before Witty went to sea, and among his last wishes was the desire to be rejoined with his shipmates at roughly the same spot in the Pacific where the Indianapolis went down.

Replies:

Subject: Loading Mules

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/ 2/10 17:15:33

Palermo, Sicily. US troops bringing mules to the docks and loading into LST boats for invasion of Italy. 1944

Replies:

Subject: A Real Sailor !

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/12/10 18:07:35

Coast Guard Master Chief Petty Officer Charles Calhoun.
In the Coast Guard from 1946 to 1973.
Did not retire, died in service !.

Replies:

Subject: Niuafoo Island eruption 1943

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 15:07:56

Replies:

Subject: The heading photo is for cloverleaf !

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 21:09:08

Replies:

Subject: pictures

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 18:03:32

Subject: Are You Still Out There Old Snipe ?

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 15:45:35

A while back we had a comment from "The Old Snipe" who served on the Pitkin County LST 1182. I am asking, are you still out there "Old Snipe" ?.

Subject: Country Current Navy Band "God Bless The USA"

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 15:22:59

Subject: Italy 1944

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/16/10 14:23:01

April 8, 1944
Mt. Vesuvius Erupts Its Terror
NAPLES, ITALY – Gigantic cloud of smoke swells in ascendancy, like some huge jinni, from the Aladdin’s lamp that is Mt. Vesuvius. The city of Naples rests in the foreground.

Subject: US NAVY BAND COUNTRY CURRENT

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/15/10 09:56:58

THESE GUYS SURE PICK GOOD !. The Old Sea Dog would sure like to sit in with them !.

Subject: CBS RADIO D-DAY NEWS, June 6, 1944

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/14/10 18:25:30

Kind of long, but interesting.

Subject: U. S. Marine Band 1890 / Edison wax recording

Author:
Old sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/14/10 11:20:42

A little noisy but OK !

Replies:

Subject: Header Picture LST 1097 at Okinawa

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/13/10 05:29:49

Subject: Secret WWII Coins

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/12/10 17:44:52

Secret Coins of WWII!
These Saudi Arabia Silver Riyals were struck in secrecy at the Philadelphia Mint in 1944 and loaded aboard the SS John Barry. They were headed for Saudi Arabia to pay workers building an aviation fuel refinery to help win the war. They never made it. The ship was torpedoed by a U-boat and its silver treasure was only recently recovered. The coins say "Made in Mecca" as part of the subterfuge that would eventually be revealed. Only a limited number of recovered coins remain available.

Subject: LST 1126 Website update

Author:
Buddy LST 1126 (:-0)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/12/10 01:21:09

I received some photos from a shipmate who served on the LST 1126 during the early 50's. He made two of the trips to Point Barrow, Alaska and a tour in the Marshall Islands during the buildup for the Atomic tests "Castle". These photos are published in the section 1951-1953 at the bottom of the page and on an additional page linked to that page. It always helps when someone sends additional photos or information about the ship to fill the voids. The LST 1126 (USS Snohomish County) had 25 years of history and continuous service for the USN. 1945-1970

Subject: COMMAND PREFORMANCE RADIO SHOW

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/ 5/10 19:26:40

Bob Hope records radio show with great song by Betty Hutton, Lana Turner cooks a Porterhouse Steak, Judy Garland sings. Bob takes a lot of ribbing. Funny and entertaining.

Subject: "REMEMBER THESE FACES" !

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02/ 5/10 17:16:40

This movie was produced to promote War Bonds, it shows the real cost of war, the wounded, the broken, the injured, and how they were cared for during the Pacific Island War. I rate it a "Must See" if you want to know what War is really like.

Subject: LSTs 446 and 447

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/27/10 17:04:24

Replies:

Subject: captured german general

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/26/10 10:13:40

German General Otto Elfeldt captured and being questioned by OSS.

Smug looking bastard !. The questioner has to be an O.A.I. man.

Replies:

Subject: LST 126

Author:
Cathy McMillan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/19/09 14:51:55

My grandfather served aboard the LST 126 during WWII and I can only locate a few details about the LST. Does anyone have any photos/video, crew or other information about this ship? His name is Jesse (J.R.) Richards.

Replies:

Subject: Questions, Comments or ideas

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/29/10 18:10:16

I am seeing very few comments lately. So I am asking for your Questions, Comments or ideas relating to the forum. I want this forum to be what you want or need it to be, so what do you think we should be doing ?.

Replies:

Subject: LST 289

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/28/10 18:23:26

LST-289 enters a US Naval base in England during pre-invasion maneuvers.

Subject: LSM 60 AT THE BAKER TEST !

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/28/10 13:08:48

LSM 60 AT THE BAKER TEST

Subject: Iwo Jima Flag in War Bond Drive

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/27/10 17:38:18

Subject: Newsreel , Iwo Flag Raised over Capital !

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/27/10 17:30:36

1) "Air views of Leipzig reveal it to be a city of skeleton buildings and rubble. Industrial Magdeburg has been gutted by dive bombers of the U.S. Tactical Air Forces. The huge Krupp tank factory is destroyed as are hundreds of partially finished tanks on the assembly line. The rail center, Nuremberg, once the seat of Nazi culture, is now a dead city. The huge rallying stadium serves as a parade ground for Yank troops who blast a surmounting stone swastika to bits - then replace it with the Stars and Stripes." scenes of ruins of Krupp factory, tanks, cities, "none reflects greater destruction than Nuremberg" where U.S. flag hides swatstika in stadium, then blown up, military review; (2) Eisenhower Calls GI's Real Heroes - "General Eisenhower credits Allied generals with genius, but states that the real hero of the war is G.I. Joe and his buddies in the other armed services of the Allies." scenes of Ike speaking (3) Jap Suicide Pilot Dives On Hospital Ship - "Off Okinawa, the U.S.S. Comfort, a hospital ship, was attacked by a Jap suicide flyer, wounding 31 Yanks and killing 29. Burial services are held at a military cemetery on a Pacific island." (4) Iwo Flag To Be Symbol Of 7th Loan - "Washington, DC: Sec. of Treasury Morgenthau speaks, telling the urgency of buying war bonds. Three of the heroes who raised the Stars and Stripes at Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima, hoist the same tattered flag over the U.S. capitol." (5) Nation Hails V-E Day - "Seattle, Wash.: Spirited Boeing employees celebrates news of victory over Germany by wheeling out a giant B-29 bomber carrying 'On To Tokyo' sign. Washington Aglow - When full outdoor illumination is restored to Washington, D.C. the shining dome of the nation's capitol commands the most attention. B'Way is 'White Way' Again - When all the lights are turned on again in Times Square, the dazzle and brilliance convinces all Broadwayites that V.E. has been achieved." scenes of Boeing rolling out an extra B-29 in Seattle, Capitol dome in DC, New York Times Square lit up, the 'Great White Way' at night, Statue of Liberty once more lighted at night. (6) Mayor LaGuardia speaks, asks all to take part in "I Am An American Day." (complete newsreel)

Subject: John Wayne + Miss Montana visit troops

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/26/10 16:59:16

Somewhere in the Pacific.

Replies:

Subject: P.O. Box 1142 at Fort Hunt, Virginia WWII

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/26/10 14:43:53

P.O. Box 1142 was a secret American military intelligence facility that operated during World War II. The American Military Intelligence Service had two special wings whose core duty was to interview the Prisoners of War (POWs), known as MIS -X and MIS -Y. They were known by their codename, the mailing address "P.O. Box 1142." Notable prisoners housed at the facility included rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, spymaster Reinhard Gehlen, and Heinz Schlicke, inventor of infrared detection.

P.O. Box 1142 was based out of Fort Hunt, Virginia, formerly part of George Washington's farmlands. German scientists, submariners and soldiers were questioned. P.O. Box 1142 obtained valuable intelligence from German POWs and also communicated with Allied POWs overseas. The camp was in violation of the Geneva Conventions because the Red Cross was not notified of the transfer or location of the prisoners, but according to the surviving wardens torture was not used. However, at least one of those interrogated, U-boat captain Werner Henke, committed suicide. The work done at Fort Hunt contributed to the Allied victory of World War II. It also led to advances in scientific technology and military intelligence that directly influenced the Cold War. In October 2007, a group of the former intelligence workers gathered for the first time since the war's conclusion, and a flagpole and plaque recognizing their contributions were dedicated on the original grounds.

The camp was started in 1942; the majority of the camp facilities were bulldozed in 1946.

Subject: Bikini Atomic Baker Test + LST 60

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/24/10 17:40:32

For the BAKER test at Bikini in 1955, the atomic bomb was placed below LST 60. Of course LST 60 was vaporized the instant the bomb went off. To view a film about the test
click on the play arrow

Replies:

Subject: FURY IN THE PACIFIC - 1945

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/23/10 18:55:02

Replies:

Subject: Jimmy Stewart Film for The Army Air Corps

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/23/10 18:19:57

This is a classic from WWII.

Subject: If you can watch this video with dry eyes...

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/23/10 12:44:11

or without a chill up your spine, then maybe you should watch it again and listen to the words more closely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0mm4u2VzDs

Replies:

Subject: Re: MY BIRTHDAY GIFT TO THE FORUM

Author:
SeaBat
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/23/10 03:03:53

Happy Birthday (belated) to LST Sailors Talk Deck...

I have been traveling, but didn't forget any of you!!! (Working on Amphibs/LST Week)

I have to wonder with amazement that it has been 7 years, OSD! What a wonderful creation you have shared with all of us. The opportunity to learn, reminisce and share is a gift beyond compare.

Love ya!

Subject: LST 472 (for djb)

Author:
OSD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/22/10 09:14:14

LST-472
LST-472 was laid down on 31 October 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 7 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Frank C. Huntoon; and commissioned on 13 March 1943. During World War II, LST-472 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Consolidation of southern Solomons—June 1943
New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation—July 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina—November and December 1943
Green Islands landings—February 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operations—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—August 1944
(e) Morotai landings—September 1944

Mindoro landings—December 1944

LST-472 was sunk during action with the enemy off Mindoro Island, Philippines, on 21 December 1944 and struck from the Navy list on 19 January 1945. LST—472 earned six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.

December 15, 1944: USS O'Brien DD-725 fighting fires on the USS LST-472 following a Kamikaze attack off Mindoro Island, Philippines. O'Brien removed 198 survivors from the LST. The USS Hopewell DD-681 can be seen in the smoke.

LST 472 on fire and sinking.

Subject: 1942 Broadcast "Comin in on a Wing and a Prayer"

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/21/10 18:09:37

Buy War Bonds !
Comin' In On A Wing And A Prayer (1944)
Eddie Cantor, with Cookie Fairchild and the Treasury Orchestra
click the play arrow to hear the broadcast

Subject: Walter Winchell News Feb. 5, 1945

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/22/10 08:48:30

Walter Winchell was "Mr. News" of the War Era !.
Walter Winchell's rapid fire news from 1945-02-25. He had a style of news that was unique and informative. American Destroyer reaches 25 miles from Tokyo to rescue downed American pilots.

click on the play arrow to hear the broadcast.

Replies:

Subject: "EYES ALOFT" The Ground Observers Corps

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/21/10 18:20:54

"EYES ALOFT" THE GROUND OBSERVER CORPS (30 MIN.)
CLICK THE PLAY ARROW TO HEAR THE BROADCAST

Subject: Something New ! , 1945 Radio News

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/20/10 19:22:13

The Japanese Surrender !
WWII Radio News 1945-08-14 18:30 Japanese Surrender (August 14, 1945)
Click on the play arrow to hear the news broadcast.

Replies:

Subject: A great patch

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/17/10 18:04:16

Replies:

Subject: Japanese Flying Bombs

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/20/10 18:42:30

Japanese flying bomb on Okinawa 1945

Another view

engines

Subject: First Iwo flag now with the second

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/16/10 18:54:46

At 29 by 56 inches, it often goes unnoticed next to its famous replacement, but the first flag raised over Iwo Jima got its due yesterday at the National Museum of the Marine Corps.

The center of the museum's Flag Day celebration, the flag joined an exhibit on the battle of Iwo Jima in a small ceremony crowded with veterans and other visitors.

Though it was replaced after about two hours by the larger, more visible flag captured in the Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph, the first flag remains an important symbol for both the Marine Corps and the nation.

Raised under hostile fire using a pipe as a makeshift flagpole, the smaller flag helped boost morale by commemorating the hard-fought occupation of Mount Suribachi on Feb. 23, 1945.

The fight for the strategically important island lasted another month, and resulted in more than 6,800 Marine and Navy casualties.

The second flag raised on the island had been part of the World War II gallery exhibit since the museum's opening in November.

So far, space constraints have made it impossible to display both flags at the same time. Staff Sgt. Bob Sullivan, the museum's curator, explained that the holiday was a "fitting day to switch out" the two artifacts.

The ceremony paid tribute to the historical significance of the flags and the men who served under them.

"We alternate these flags not only so that Marines who served in World War II can see both of them, but to remember those who gave their all to secure our liberty," said Maj. Gen. Donald Gardner, president of the Marine Corps University.

Previously, both flags had been in the care of the 5th Marines Division Association, and were periodically loaned out to museums for exhibitions and special events.

Neil Abelsma, curator of uniforms and heraldry for the museum, explained the flags' surprisingly complex history and the preservation efforts.

Though many private companies claim to have made the Iwo Jima flags, both were actually government-issued, produced at a facility near San Francisco, Abelsma explained. The first flag was manufactured in 1944.

One of Abelsma's main concerns is preserving the condition of both flags, which are sensitive to light. Flash photography is prohibited and the lights are kept low in the display area to preserve the flags' color.

Though the flags' colors have faded, the memories of the veterans in attendance were as vivid as ever. Hearing the history of Iwo Jima and seeing that first flag again "brought back some tears" for former Pvt. James Rigney, who served on the island.

After enlisting in March 1944, Rigney became a member of the famous 3rd Platoon, Easy Company, 28th Regiment of the 5th Marines, and participated in the first assaults of the island.

Rigney remembers watching members of his company "pitch" the first flag.

Bob Vandelind, a retired Army paratrooper who served in the Korean War, also found himself transported by the first flag.

Subject: more on the Iwo Flag

Author:
old sea dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/16/10 18:47:34

Shortly after the first flag-raising on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima, Lieutenant Colonel Chandler W. Johnson, the Battalion commander, told Second Lieutenant Albert T. Tuttle, Assistant Operations Officer, 2d Battalion, 28th Marines, to go down to one of the ships on the beach and get a large battle flag - "large enough that the men at the other end of the island can see it. It will lift their spirits also." Lieutenant Tuttle went on board LST 779, beached near the base of the volcano and obtained a larger set of colors. Ironically, the flag from LST 779 which would soon fly over the first captured Japanese territory had been salvaged from Pearl Harbor, probably from some decommissioned destroyer or destroyer escort.

Subject: The joy of great music !

Author:
Old Sea Dog
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01/11/10 18:30:30

Today I had the house to myself so I decided to listen to some music. Now I have a Stereo that could shake the house if I turned it up loud, but today I only had it up fairly loud. I found a version of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture that uses live cannons for the cannon sounds, and live church bells for that sound. So I started the tape.

As the music built to the end I could feel the vibrations of the cannons firing and when the ringing of the bells started with the music playing along, I felt a kind of joy in the sound of great music that stirs your emotions. It was a magical moment.

I then lisitened to Ravel's Bolero and some Organ Contadas. It was a great day of great music !.

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]3 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.