VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: Re: For David Fuller - LST 205

Author:
Dave Fuller
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 08/16/09 07:59:19
In reply to: The Old Sea Dog 's message, "For David Fuller - LST 205" on 08/15/09 17:22:44

Thanks Old Sea Dog for your reply. I should have been more specific in my first post. I should have said " personal" information on the ship and that I had seen almost everything online. I have been researching information on the web for the past few weeks but I could only find the pictures and info you posted plus a few other things. I ordered 2 DVDs from Traditions Videos, LST training in WW2, and LSTs in the Pacific. They looked like good info material. There is one other I may get, Coast Guard Action: World War II. Has anyone seen this one yet? I have requested information from my dad's service record but I'll just have to wait to see if they can tell me what ship he was on. I am almost sure it was the LST205 because his ship came back to the states before the war was over for overhaul, it was Coast Guard manned and the dates it left for the Pacific and returned for repairs fall in line with stories my Mom told me. She new the # started with a 2_ _ but I couldn't remember the whole thing. She passed away a few years ago. When the ship came back for repair my Dad was very lucky because he got transfered stateside. He was a kind quiet man and would never talk about the war. He had wonderful friends and everyone who met him liked him. If I asked questions about the war he would tell me never to ask again so my Mom was the only source of information and stories. She died a few years ago. One thing I do remember she told me, it was a good thing the ship came back early because my Dad was having a rough time coping with his experiences with the war. Knowing my Dad I can understand his feelings. He retired in 1965 as a CWO4 and died in 1967 while I was in Navy boot camp. At that time of the Viet Nam war you could not get in the USCG (the waiting list was too long), so I went in the Navy so I could be a sailor like my dad but I never got to show him myself in uniform. What a sad day that was, I miss him so much. That is the reason I am doing this research. I guess I want to connect with the past at this point in my life. My two younger boys are in the Coast Guard and this only makes me want to get more information on my Dad. Some day they may be glad I gathered it for them so they could have it and pass it on to their kids. I live in Anchorage AK and someday would like to visit the USS LST Ship Memorial but I don't know if I will ever get down that way again. It is such a long drive. My youngest son and I went on a trip to the lower 48 in 2005 and had a good time seeing some of the western National Parks. He is now stationed at USCG Station Toledo. Thanks guys for your help.

Dave Fuller

Photobucket
My wonderful Dad CWO4 Ernest E Fuller, He had the CG Shield for a Heart!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: For David Fuller - LST 205Buddy LST 112608/18/09 07:57:40

Re: For David Fuller - LST 205Phil Kosiba (With best regards...)02/12/15 11:22:54

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.