VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: LST 376 SUNK IN ENGLISH CHANNEL

Author:
OLD SEA DOG
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01/ 6/10 05:33:57

LST-376
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons
American Campaign Medal European
Africa-Middle East Campaign Medal (3)
World War II Victory Medal
# LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship Laid down, 25 November 1942, at Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, MA.
# Launched, 1 February 1943
# Commissioned USS LST-376, 5 February 1943
# During World War II LST-376 was assigned to the European Theater and participated in the following campaigns:
Europe
Sicilian occupation, July 1943
Invasion of Normandy, June 1944
Salerno landings, September 1943 .

# LST-376 was torpedoed and sunk by a German surface craft in the English Channel, 9 June 1944
# Struck from the Naval Register, 28 June 1944
# LST-376 earned three battle stars for World War II service

Posted by Cyril M. Pombier on 11/14/2005, 4:14 pm, in reply to "LST 376"
My brother, Edward Pombier served as a Medic [Pharmacy mate 3rd class]on LST 376 that was sunk on the way back to Plymouth in the English Channel. He and two crew were able to spend the night near the "fantail stabilizer". They had been ordered to "abandon ship" but since it was night, and COLD, they waited for almost dawn when the LST was shifting as if sinking. They heard a ship near, slid into the water and slid into the water. The life vests were equipped with whistle and small flashlights to signal. They were picked up by an English Destroyer. Eddie believes the two with him were, Ed [P] Finkelstine from [sp] Pantucket,RI and "Smite" Smith.

Eddie told me, on a tape I made about 20 years ago.
[His schedule included:]

Plymouth, welded additional tracks into cargo area, racks for wounded before port. Eddie told me they carried a umber of Combat engineers.]
Left June 5th, returned because of weather.
Left June 5th, evening/morning?
Landed on Omaha Beach, Red Dog area. Unloaded supplies and filled boat with wounded. " Eddie earlier told about small boats rowed to-from beach to get wounded,but did not include this item in this recording.
Filled , started back to Plymouth.
Were torpedoed by a German S boat in the channel.
Eddie was taking a cigarette break on deck when they were hit. He had been working with a 3 person surgical unit. They were climbing towards the deck when an officer closed the hatch. At one time [Not on this tape] he told me he was threatened by a side-arm for trying to open the hatch. The same officer had told them to go into the water when he decided to stay on the LST.
Eddie was given "survivors leave" to return home. He was transferred into the Marines as a Medic for them. He served during the cleanup period at Siapan
and with the Second Marines with the invasion of [sp] Iwo Jema. I think on a LSTH, then with a unit on the island.

Eddie reenlisted in the Army after a year at home after the war. He transferred to the Airforce after their split with the Army, so he served for 26 years in with all four branches...not many have done this!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: LST 376 SUNK IN ENGLISH CHANNELDavid (Lyons)06/ 7/18 01:08:50

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.