VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: Re: LST 779

Author:
old sea dog
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 05/31/10 08:34:06
In reply to: D. W. Noel 's message, "LST 779" on 05/30/10 15:57:01

I found this comment...
Following her participation at Iwo Jima LST-779 was involved in the landings at Okinawa in April of 1945. After the war she was involved in occupation duty in the Far East and the China area. She was decommissioned in July of 1946 and sold to someone in the Philippean Islands ....I don't know if it was a company, an independent contractor or the Philippine government.
In case you like meaningless war stories ... I walked past LST-779 as she was unloading just minutes after the second flag-raising on D-Day +4. I was on my way from Blue Beach 2 to the Red Beaches (Nearest beaches to Mt. Suribachi). Of course I had no reason to take notice of the ship at the time -- it was just another one of a bunch of amphibious ships and boats pulled up along the very busy and cluttered beaches.
The 2nd flag (the one of the LST-799) was a drainage pipe that weighed over 100 lbs. The 2nd flag was bigger then the first one. The first flag was taken away because The Secerety Of Defense (James V. Forrestal) wanted it as a suvenir.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: LST 779Horace Luckey (info)09/ 1/10 04:37:33

Re: LST 779Carey Mears03/ 1/11 04:09:21

Re: LST 779Donnie Noel08/12/12 05:08:59

Re: LST 779Thomas J Kayser (Thankful for Vets)03/ 5/13 05:44:05

Re: LST 779Donnie Noel11/23/13 13:30:13

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.