VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: LST-726 To Whom It May Concern

Author:
Walter E. Pederson Jr. (Bud)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10/27/13 13:11:39

To Whom It May Concern (i.e. author: Old Sea Dog),

My wife and I just read your response to Jerry (posted on 8/23/10) and we are interested in interacting with you.

My father, Walter Edward Pederson (Bud), served on the LST-726 as well. He clearly described some of his experiences to me concerning the "shake down" crews going from Louisville, KY down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to Biloxi, MS...and then going through the Panama Canal to Hawaii and eventually to the assaults on Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

He particularly mentioned seeing the flag raising on Mount Suribachi through binoculars on the ship. Also, in the invasion of Okinawa, he mentioned that a 500 pound Japanese bomb went through the ship and blew up underneath the ship. He described how the bomb went through the water filtration system and no one on the ship was injured or killed. They were able to get the ship to some location near coral reefs and repair the damage. Later, on July 6th, he specifically mentioned being on the island of Guam.

Dad died in October of 1993 and I've only recently been able to do some more research on his naval experience. He was a chief electrician's mate on the ship. I've recently been reading the book entitled "Flags of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. In the book, in a section of photos between pages 184-185, the picture of the LST-726 that is posted with your response to Jerry is identified as a landing beach on Iwo Jima with the rifleman on Mount Suribachi. We also located this same photo on the Internet in an album of LST photos. The identifying number of 726 is clearly on the side of the LST in the foreground.

We have a number of questions. How would it be possible to verify if the ship was also used for taking wounded soldiers off the shore? How can its presence in Tokyo Bay at the signing of the peace treaty be verified? Is there any way to gain more information on the ship and the crew beyond what is listed on www.navsource.org for LST 726?

I remember as a boy that crewmates of my dad's would get together about once a year for a reunion, but I don't have any of their names or any additional information. If you could be of assistance in regard to any of the questions that we have asked, we would deeply appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Walter (Bud) Pederson Jr.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: LST-726 To Whom It May ConcernBuddy LST 112601/ 1/14 09:55:35

Re: LST-726 To Whom It May ConcernBuddy LST 112601/ 1/14 10:00:56

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.