VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:26:33 07/20/05 Wed
Author: Clairel
Author Host/IP: 64.217.25.76
Subject: But how do you explain "Destiny," then?
In reply to: Rosie 's message, "The Drusilla/Spike/Angel Triangle of S2" on 18:58:46 07/19/05 Tue

The 1880 flashback in "Destiny" shows Drusilla perfectly willing to shag Angelus despite her new relationship with William. Dru didn't even seem to understand why William was upset when he walked in on her and Angelus together. She just told him to cheer up. When William said he thought Dru was destined for him alone, Dru skeptically questioned "Am I?".

Dru's sire came first for her, but because Dru always knew that Darla and Angelus were a pair, Dru accepted the fact that she would never come first for Angelus as long as Darla was around: after all, Darla was Angelus's sire. Dru still was devoted to Angelus, though. In 1880 she made herself a new playmate (William) just because Angelus was too busy to pay attention to her--but if she could have had her preference she would have chosen Angelus and not even have bothered making a new playmate.

In BtVS season 2, Darla wasn't around any more, and when Angel lost his soul Dru saw the perfect opportunity to have the position of prominence in Angelus's life that she had never had before. She eagerly grabbed that opportunity and thereafter paid only the most perfunctory attention to the wheelchair-bound Spike. It's a miracle he didn't starve during those months--I can't believe Dru was much more dutiful about providing food for him than she was for her pet bird.

Spike's actions in ambushing Angelus and absconding with Dru (Becoming 2) meant the end of Dru's dream of her and Angelus being happy together forever. Dru had plenty of reasons to be angry with Spike, chief of which--I think--was that he had been instrumental in the defeat of Angelus and the failure of the Acathla plan. Spike's obsession with the Slayer was undoubtedly something that Dru also could sense, maybe from quite an early point in season 2, but once Angel lost his soul I don't think it was of much concern to Dru anymore--because she was focused on Angelus.

Once Angelus was gone and Dru found herself alone with Spike in Latin America whether she liked it or not, Dru had to consider whether she could bring herself to settle for Spike again after all the things he had done that she disapproved of. In the argument shown in FFL, she brought up his obsession with the Slayer because it was one of many things that made Spike unacceptable to her. It was something she could fling in Spike's face. But I think Spike's involvement in the events that deprived Dru of Angelus's company and Acathla's world-swallowing was the really big grievance that Dru had against Spike. And it would have been enough to make her reject Spike even if there hadn't also been those feelings for the Slayer that Dru could sense in him. Mentioning them was an afterthought for Dru, I think. It was a fact Dru sensed to be true, but it didn't hurt her the way it would if Dru had genuinely loved Spike. She didn't. Her real devotion was to Angelus. (

Notice that in "Crush," too, her attempted return to Spike is just an afterthought after the scheme to seduce Angel has failed. And Dru gave up on the attempt pretty easily--both because she could see Spike was totally in love with Buffy, and also because it just wasn't worth all that much effort and risk to Dru. Spike was never Dru's top priority.

Clairel

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> I think it's more complicated -- Chani, 10:59:15 07/21/05 Thu [1] (81.65.9.39)

and I think that Dru did love Spike in her own way but being a forever child(e)she above all needed her Daddy and accepted everything from him. She liked having her vampire family and didn't seem to be jealous of Darla at all.

Besides because she was a soulless vampire she couldn't be loyal and faithful. I think it's David Fury who said that Dru's behaviour in Destiny was typical of a vampire unlike Spike's, and that Spike was truly an anomaly.

Now something bothers me about Dru...she feared Buffy and wanted Spike to kill her, but if he had succeeded, Buffy wouldn't have given Angel his moment of happiness and Du wouldn't have had her Daddy again...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I don't think Dru foresaw that Buffy would bring back Angelus. -- Clairel, 20:14:43 07/21/05 Thu [1] (139.78.194.213)

Although Dru was pleased when Angelus walked into the factory in "Innocence," and she accepted him immediately, she hadn't predicted it beforehand. Possibly Angelus never even got around to mentioning to Dru that it happened because of Buffy sleeping with Angel.

Clairel

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Isn't David Fury the one that made a comment that dd't really sit well with some fans? -- Christian, 19:44:42 07/22/05 Fri [1] (209.240.205.62)

About "Spike's anomaly"? I just can't remember what he said though.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Isn't David Fury the one that made a comment that didn't really sit well with some fans? -- Christian fixing typo, 19:45:48 07/22/05 Fri [1] (209.240.205.62)

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> He said that Spike was an anomaly on the commentary -- Chani, 14:41:53 07/26/05 Tue [1] (81.65.9.39)

of Destiny DVD.

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.