VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:39:17 07/21/05 Thu
Author: Chani
Author Host/IP: 81.65.9.39
Subject: Actually I don't think it was what Joss kept preaching
In reply to: Christian 's message, "I don't think it was Buffy's logic...." on 16:19:51 07/20/05 Wed

It's what Angel and Angelus wanted to make everyone believe!

Besides the curse and its clause would be pointless if they were 2 different entities. I mean the Gypsies wanted revenge, they made him suffer (his whole being including Angelus), he was supposed to be punished, he could no longer have a moment of happiness. His dark side (Angelus) suffered because he was no longer on the driver seat, moral compass keeping him in the back seat and preventing him from doing evil, and his good side suffered because of the guilt...hence his brooding.

Lots of people wondered about the happiness clause, thinking it was stupid (because it was the free card for Angelus), but it's very significant, it's precisely which points out that Angel is responsible for all his actions including the evil ones.

All Angel's journey shows the opposite of what you said. After season 2 he was in denial because Buffy was hurt, and he kept speaking of Angelus as antoher person (and vice versa) but in Ats he slowly acknowledged that Angelus was a part of him and in season 5 (probably because he couldn't fool Spike) he simply said "I" when speaking of Angelus.

And think of ensouled Spike who is haunted by his crimes too. He never says he was someone else.

Angel and Angelus as two different beings is a poetic licence, good to tell a story, just like Jeckyll and Hyde was 2 different beings with 2 different names, but in the Jossverse as in Stevenson's novel, it's only a meatphor of the evil a man keeps inside and that can be unleashed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> [> I forgot to hug you too! * HUGS* -- Chani, 05:43:21 07/21/05 Thu [1] (81.65.9.39)

But gently, because I had vaccinations yesterday and I'm weak and in pain today...especially on the right. My arm and shoulder hurt because of the vaccination for the typhoid fever.

BTW I think I'm going back to bed.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> But if Angel was responsible then what does it say 4 Spike? Isn't he too responsible 4 his actions? -- Christian, 14:08:12 07/22/05 Fri [1] (209.240.205.62)

That doesn't make sense does it? "Angel" responsible for Angelus' actions but not Spike?

Is it the writers fault? Or the fans?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Who said that Spike was not? -- Chani, 13:07:11 07/26/05 Tue [1] (81.65.9.39)

Certainly not him!

It made perfectly clear that he was responsible, he never said that evil Spike was someone else!

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.