VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:29:41 07/31/05 Sun
Author: sparkle
Author Host/IP: 24.107.144.230
Subject: I haven't read the comics (sorry) or seen the movie,so..
In reply to: Clairel 's message, "Finally saw the "Fantastic 4" movie" on 01:17:07 07/31/05 Sun

My question is... what benefit on screen do you think it game them to make her a scientist too? Did it give her more intelletual dialogue or anything like that? I'm just curious why that would change something like that for no apparent benefit.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> I don't remember the comics all that well -- Eurydice, 18:17:51 07/31/05 Sun [1] (141.154.26.135)

But I think that originally Sue Storm was an actress who'd had a childhood crush on Reed Richards. For some reason Reed had to rush the testing of his starship (losing a government grant or something?) and for some other reason Sue Storm insisted on joining the mission. Now maybe the screenwriters thought it would be pretty weird for an actress to horn in on a test flight so they made Sue a scientist instead.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: I don't remember the comics all that well -- FlyingDeliveryBoy, 23:59:22 07/31/05 Sun [1] (24.115.130.126)

In the original comics, Reed gathered his best pal, his girlfriend, and her brother and stole a spaceship to beat the commies into space. I'm not kidding.

The movie sorta riffs on the new Ultimate Fantastic Four comic, which is a revamp of the concept where everyone's younger and stuff. There, Sue is a scientist, because that gives her a decent reason to go into space and makes her a much more interesting and worthwhile character. Otherwise she's just The Chick.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Well, that makes more sense...I think :-) -- Eurydice, 01:30:34 08/01/05 Mon [1] (141.154.26.135)

Of course, in those days that's what you'd use a spaceship for, fleeing the commies. Nowadays, we use use spaceships for boring scientific purposes and we get all picky about the crew having the training to match - *sigh* sooooo rigid and boring. ;-)

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> It's not a matter of *fleeing* the commies... -- Clairel, 14:36:59 08/01/05 Mon [1] (139.78.194.213)

It's a matter of being first.

Maybe I'm the only person here old enough to remember the Space Race. In the 1950s when the Russians were the first to send up an (unmanned) satellite outside earth's atmosphere, a satellite called Sputnik, that was a terrible shock to Americans. We hadn't had any space program to speak of, but we did have Von Braun, so after Sputnik our space program went into top gear. Fantastic Four #1 came out four years after Sputnik and was clearly in response to it.

It all seemed terribly important back then. I think the fear was that the Russians would have orbital platforms for nuclear weapons if we didn't establish our own presence in space. And, hmm, I suppose they could have had that if we had sat on our hands.

Clairel

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> It was a late night joke, sorry. -- Eurydice, 15:11:21 08/01/05 Mon [1] (141.154.24.39)

My whole family was kind of immersed in the space program - from design to engineering to intelligence - and that was my dream too, until I found out that the only jobs at NASA for women in those days were clerical and accounting positions. So, I'd like to think that any woman who gets to ride on a spaceship actually deserves to be there and not just because she was somebody's wife or girlfriend - even if we're just talking about comic books.

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.