VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:23:00 08/02/05 Tue
Author: Eurydice
Author Host/IP: 141.154.24.35
Subject: Well phfew!! Feel all better? ;-)
In reply to: spiritus 's message, "season 6 was brilliant, and just what i wanted" on 08:22:58 08/02/05 Tue

Soooooo agree about the Enterprise finale - ek, pftew, we shall speak of it no more.

And I agree about the rest - what, you say?!! Ok, I agree about WW and I agree about season 6 up until the last handful of episodes. I think Dead Things is one of the best episodes ever written and I think the way the all the characters were brought to a crisis point was brilliant (addiction metaphor notwithstanding and ok, they ignored the resolution of Xander's crisis) - but (ah, you knew this was coming) I don't think the writers took things far enough or fast enough. They let things sit in the middle of the depresso-road for a hair too long (they admit that) and they cheated Buffy out of a true epiphany by bringing her back to being the eternal victim.

The point of her epiphany should not have been that she wanted to live despite what others had done to her, but that she wanted to live despite her darker self - I know, they saved those revelations and the battle with her darker self for season 7, but by not addressing it in season 6, they left a cloud of delusion and hypocrisy over Buffy because the audience knew that many of Buffy's problems over the season were self-inflicted. It's funny how one or two choices can change the way we look at an entire story.

Season 7, I agree on the "somewhat" - there were some great episodes and some terrible ones, and it's a shame that the storyline was so disjointed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> Not Disjointed -- Rosie, 18:15:02 08/02/05 Tue [1] (170.97.167.60)

"Season 7, I agree on the "somewhat" - there were some great episodes and some terrible ones, and it's a shame that the storyline was so disjointed."

Frankly, I thought that Season 2 was disjointed, not Season 7. Season 2 had the potential to be great, but it was too disjointed to me, and the only characters that really seemed to hold it together were Drusilla . . . and especially Spike. And some of the moments in the Angelus arc seemed anti-climatic . . . especially when he first lost his soul.

I'm not that crazy about mid-Season 7 - from "Bring on the Night" to "The Killer in Me", but I enjoyed that season a little more than I did Season 2.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Well, I wasn't comparing it to other seasons -- Eurydice, 21:07:05 08/02/05 Tue [1] (141.154.25.163)

I just felt that the beginning, middle and ends of the season were all going in different directions. Characters and plot lines and various ideas kept being floated and then abandoned - and everytime they introduced something which made me thingk "ah, this is interesting, I wonder where they'll go with it," I was disappointed to find that they went nowhere with it. That's why I found the individual episodes to be more interesting than the season as a whole.

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.