VoyForums

Monday, July 16, 07:28:55pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 11:05:51pm
Author: 9
Author Host/IP: 88-97-105-72.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk / 88.97.105.72
Subject: Well Done

Not bad considering I can't think of any other nation that is so well represented across the range of international sports than England. If you want to be on the world stage in somewhere like Croatia your only realistic team option is football. I can't think of that many individual sports where other primarily footballing nations significantly outstrip Englands achievements in e.g. motor sport, golf, athletics, cycling, rowing, Olympic gold medals. How many of the last 32 are decent team performers in cricket, rugby union, rugby league as well as soccer.
With a limited talent pool I think we are spread too thinly over too many high demand, activities. Given that many sports require very similar abilities, speed, strength, stamina, hand/eye coordination, will to win the real chance that an English sportsman could do well in one of several sports is considerable. Couldn't Lineker and one or more of the Neville's been pro cricketers.
Where all your best sporting talent has only one outlet the chances of that team being successful are greater than if they, too, spread their sporting resources across at least some of the range of sports at which England are well above average.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.