VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:07:15 12/21/10 Tue
Author: Quail Lover
Author Host/IP: 222.153.137.66
Subject: Nesting mother quail hates father quail who is just trying to help?

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Anyways, I have two quail. Male and female. They have hatched one batch of 6 chicks together. The male was the BEST father, in fact HE did most of the sitting on eggs, and did almost ALL of the keeping chicks warm under his wings. Even when they got older and were full grown he would still offer food to them :D
Anyway, all 6 chicks grew up and went to new homes. Itís now been a month and a half, and I have allowed my female to have another batch of chicks. She has been sitting on the eggs for a week. (Strange, since last time it was the male doing the sitting). There are four blown eggs, and three fertile eggs. (I wanted a small family this time as not to stress father out)

The thing is the female is not letting the male nest on the eggs. She chatters at him when he comes close. Itís quite sad because whenever I get them a bug or cicada, he brings it over to her on the nest, and puts it down for her, and she sits there chattering at him. Itís really sad :(

Will I need to remove him and put him in the spare hutch? I guess Iím okay with this except he will be lonely (Iím not getting another female for him thoughÖ).
Iím a little scared that maybe the female will not care for the chicks (She cared for them part time with the last hatch) since the male is not there to care for them?
Have you had this happen? What do I do?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.