VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:12:43 12/23/10 Thu
Author: Shawna
Author Host/IP: 208.95.70.119
Subject: Re: Do Quail respond well to handrearing?
In reply to: Mitch 's message, "Do Quail respond well to handrearing?" on 21:30:15 11/24/10 Wed

Well you don't really have to do much to hand raise a quail. Most people actually hatch in incubators and raise in brooders because quail aren't the best at going broody and hatching their own eggs. They aren't like parrots where they have to be handfed. You just treat them like chicken chicks but on a smaller scale. Put them in a brooder with a heat lamp of the appropriate size so they can pick what temperature makes them comfortable, give them some gamebird feed or other high protein poultry feed, and a waterer with some marbles or rocks in it to avoid drowning. That's all you really have to do and if you have large enough food and water containers they can be completely healthy with only being checked on once or twice a day.

It is best to always raise at least 2 chicks and since some eggs don't hatch it means you should set several more than you want. Lone chicks will often become inactive, not eat or drink, and sometimes actually die. People will stick stuffed animals and ticking clocks in with lone chicks to keep them happier and more active. There's a chance you might get a friendlier bird from it but I think it's cruel to purposely raise a lone chick.

Raising chicks in a brooder versus parent does not necessarily make them tamer. Parent raised chicks with fairly tame parents can become just as friendly if you feed them lots of treats. I actually found you get tamer chicks by feeding them just enough food and water to last until the next time so they will realize you bring good things. Whether I handle them alot has much less impact than if they see me bring food and water. My tamest chicks have been ones I completely ignored aside from feeding them and some of my wildest chicks were handled a lot but had large food and water containers that never ran out and did not get treats.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.