VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:17:15 12/24/10 Fri
Author: Ursula
Author Host/IP: 99.166.101.214
Subject: Re: buttons in an aviary
In reply to: Shawna 's message, "buttons in an aviary" on 18:41:54 12/23/10 Thu

I have buttons in my aviary. It's a little bigger than yours, a former sunroom, 11 by 11 feet. I put plastic pondliner down, going up the sides of the walls for about a foot or so. Pondliner is sturdy and you can wash it off. The door has a high threshold, so the pond liner goes up there too.

I use aspen shavings for almost 4 years now and the buttons are very happy in this. It's warm and cozy, it absorbs moisture well, and it's clean. I wouldn't use pine shavings, that's supposed to be bad for animals, but the aspen is perfectly fine. I order it in big bales, recently always at Drs. foster and smith, because they have a flat rate shipping.

I would NOT use sand for the button quail, especially not fine quarz sand!!! THAT would be much too dusty and also abrasive for their feet. Mine do have a dish of sand and grit mix and they like to take dust baths. But the entire floor, I wouldn't do it. It would also be very tough to keep that clean and dry. Aspen shavings are absorbant, and you can take a layer off when it's dirty (especially under perches) and put a new layer on top. About twice a year I do major cleaning and completely replace most of the shavings.

I wouldn't use peat moss either. It's VERY dusty when it's dry. And you definitely don't want to have it wet in an aviary. (I had african millipeds for some time and they lived in damp peat moss. Again, hard to clean...)

I also have fake ivy and other fake plants on the floor and the buttons like to hide under that.

Here are pictures, if you're interested. The first pictures are from construction from almost 4 years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/udmoran/MyAviary?authkey=Gv1sRgCKnLnaH109PbKw#

I hope that helps!

I love my buttons, they are very cute and a lot of fun. Always on the go and nosy and scooting around. I couldn't imagine my aviary without them!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.