VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:58:43 01/01/11 Sat
Author: Shawna
Author Host/IP: 208.95.64.87
Subject: wheat bran?
In reply to: Shawna 's message, "buttons in an aviary" on 18:41:54 12/23/10 Thu

How about wheat bran as a substrate? I could not find wheat pellets here and the only aspen pellets would cost me $50 per inch of depth. I tried wheat bran in the pans of the caged birds and it has been working pretty well. A little has been knocked out by wing exercising or budgie explosions when something scares them but it's less than the amount of seed hulls they leave about. It's heavier than peat moss and I can get a 50lb bag for $6. I am just slightly concerned about if they can safely ingest it and whether it would go bad too easily. It's just the hull of the wheat grain and wheat pellets are the hull and stalk/straw compressed and heated.

Unless someone comes up with a reason not to we are going to run a test this month with the other birds in the aviary. If it works out we will order quail eggs in Feb when the weather starts to warm up a little.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.