VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:29:56 01/27/10 Wed
Author: Rhonda
Author Host/IP: 71.54.30.161
Subject: Re: I'm getting baby quails in a few weeks...
In reply to: Kim 's message, "Re: I'm getting baby quails in a few weeks..." on 08:15:40 01/27/10 Wed

Hey Kim,

On the cyberquail link, read "Caring for Incubator-Hatched Button Quail Chicks". That tells you pretty much what you need to know.

I'm not sure about the reptile light. What wattage is it? We just use regular light bulbs in a heating lamp, and use a higher or lower wattage bulb, depending on the temperature we want in the brooder.

Regarding the food, I have never heard that buttons could eat parakeet or finch food. We do give our buttons some finch seeds for a treat, but this is in addition to the game bird crumble. On the cyberquail link, there is an alternative listed that you can probably get from the pet store.

To avoid boinking injuries, you can line the lid of your cage with foam. We had a couple of birds die from boinking injuries, so it is important to take care of this, once the birds get older (around 6 weeks). That's one reason I like using a terrarium or reptarium for cages for them. There's screening on top, so no danger to the birds.

Yes, I felt very inadequate when we first hatched chicks. (It was my son's science project.) But the people on this board helped through a number of crises. And we will be here for you, when you need help.

Keep in touch.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.