VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:58:34 02/27/10 Sat
Author: Charlie
Author Host/IP: 74.235.218.142
Subject: Re: Excalfactoria adansonii (African Blue-Breasted Quail)
In reply to: Rhonda 's message, "Re: Excalfactoria adansonii (African Blue-Breasted Quail)" on 12:44:25 02/27/10 Sat

Hi Ronda-

Well, thank you for those kind words. I know just a little about birds. What I know about Quails, I owe it to a good friend of mine who taught me most of what I know but I must say that I am no expert by any means. I am here to learn more from others and the little I know, share it with others.

Ok. Let me answer your question... :) A little about myself... Well, I've been breeding parrots since 1998. I took a "break" when I sold all my pairs about 5 years ago and I didn't have any birds for a year. lol I then missed my birds and I ended up keeping a few exotic finches. Thats when I came across two pairs of buttons (I went to buy finches and I bought buttons instead) After owning these two pairs of buttons, I was hooked!!! :)

So, I got more and more buttons (ten pairs) and I purchased an incubator to hatch the eggs. Keep in mind that I had only bred parrots and finches in the past and never had I even seen an incubator. So, I tried hatching but I had one issue... THEY NEVER HATCHED!!! I was so fustrated with the buttons that I decided to get rid of them all! See, I wanted to be successful but I couldn't be. I was hearing, reading and seeing a thousand different ways to do this. I think what got me so fustrated was that everyone knew how to resolve my issues but everyone had a different idea. Someone would tell me turn the eggs and the next person would say, I do not turn the eggs and I have 99% hatch rate. Then someone would say to me, raise the humidity and the next person would say no don't raise it. And it was a huge mess for me. Nevermind the zillion names for the same bird!!! (example, darth vader and all these weird names)

So, I decided that there had to be a 'standard' for these birds. I couldn't find any. Anybody was giving the birds their own name, mutations etc but noone knew anything about the history of the birds. So, I finally found an ornithologist and an embryologist who had studied the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail and had some real answers to my questions.

Ronda, I swear to you, I read so many publications that contradicted each others. One would say to keep the buttons in pairs, and the other said to keep them in conveys or trios. Some would call them Coturnix chinensis and the other would call the SAME bird Excalfactoria chinensis. So who is right??? Do you understand where I am coming from?

Anyways, I studied the bird, the history, the species in depth and I found that half of the stuff I had read was erroneous. I don't think that people are trying to give mis information about these birds but what I think is happening is that this erroneous information is being repeated so much that it is being accepted as "correct".

I am NOT saying that I know it all or that I have all the correct answers but I sure know that after doing some intensive research, I have much better success with my buttons.

I currently keep about 100 pairs of buttons, about 100 exotic finches, some grass parakeets and some sparrows. I have found that small birds are a thousand times easier to keep. :)

This is my hobby and I do not have it as a business. (even though it seems like it) It is not a business because right now the bank is in RED. :) I am not making any money on these birds. Yes, I do sell eggs and adult birds but it does not compare with what I spend in Crumbles, Finch food, oyster shells, Eggs Food, mealworms, bedding, cages, more birds :), and nevermind the time I have to put in every day cleaning so many cages, feeding, watering etc. I think you get the point. :) Bottom line is... I do it because I like it and enjoy it!!!

Ok, enough about myself for now... Tell me about you and your experience. How did you start with buttons? How many do you have? Did you encounter the same issues that I had?

Sorry for all the rambling... I hope I didn't bore you. :)

Charlie

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.