VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:47:39 06/05/10 Sat
Author: Nathan
Author Host/IP: 24.131.149.17
Subject: Growing Chicks

Hey, I have a couple questions about my chicks. First, when is it okay to take the heat lamp off of them? I have eight little guys who hatched about three weeks ago, and most of their feathers are in so I was wondering whether I could take the heat lamp off. They're a little cramped in their cage and really starting to stink up the basement. I'm hoping to move them into my aviary so they can spread out a bit, but I don't want to move them if they still need the lamp.

Second, on a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone ever heard of zebra finches plucking button quail? I noticed that the one button I have on the floor of the aviary right now has kind of ragged feathering on his lower back, so I was wondering if its the zebras. They're the only other birds I have in the aviary right now, so it must be them, but I haven't had any other problems in the three or four years they've been together, so I'm at a loss as to why this would start now.

Last, does anyone have some tips or strategies that have worked for them in introducing new buttons into an aviary? I have done this in the past, but I was wondering if anyone has a proven way to do it. As things are right now, I've taken my male out of the aviary and put him in a cage to regrow his feathers anyway, so I was planning on just keeping him there for three weeks or so until my babies are ready to go in there. Then I'll introduce them in there at the same time.

Thanks for the help,
Nathan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.