VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:30:35 06/30/10 Wed
Author: Paul
Author Host/IP: 24.24.175.252
Subject: Re: Apartment Quail - quiet quail?
In reply to: Evyn 's message, "Re: Apartment Quail - quiet quail?" on 09:27:41 06/30/10 Wed

Hi Evyn,

I also wanted to have a tame button quail so I got a day old chick from a local breeder. At first I hoped that it would turn out to be a male since they are more colorful, but it turned out to be a sweet and tame hen. I later bought another day old chick hoping it might be a male and I would pair them up, but again, it turned out to be another tame and sweet hen... :) I bought another day old chick several months later and it was also a female quail. ha! However, they were all raised from day one and all turned out to be very sweet and tame..One day I thought about putting the three adult hens together thinking they might be lonely and yet they remained tame even in the same cage. If I had paired the hen with a male, don't know if it would remain just as tame.
Well, it's unfortunate because you cannot tell the sex at day one, so you have to take the risk. They can be sexed by 3 weeks. Don't know if they can still be tamed if you get them at 3 weeks, I doubt it. I haven't raised a male button quail from day one, so don't know if it would still be loud even if he was tame. I also wonder if male button quails can be raised alone if raised from day one. However, I have heard stories where some have raised a very tame male button quail singly. Michele, the owner of this website, successfully raised Baby Spaz and Hercules, both very tame males and both raised alone. She might be able to help you if you email her. Good luck! It really is great to have a tame quail as a pet if raised from a tiny chick. :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.