VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:19:50 03/07/10 Sun
Author: Charlie
Author Host/IP: 74.235.218.142
Subject: Re: Helping a hatch and bleeding
In reply to: Holly 's message, "Re: Helping a hatch and bleeding" on 04:56:26 03/07/10 Sun

Hi Holly-

I understand your reasoning behind of what you said. Yes, Females do leave the nest several times a day however, during the last three days (approx.) they very seldom do leave the nest because they can feel the movement inside the egg. During the last three days, the chicks position themselves for hatching. If they get chilled (which can be just a few degrees lower than 99.5) they will not have the strength to continue to move to the right position.

I'd suggest that you stop turning at day 13th (not 14th) so that the chicks have enough time to turn into the right position before running out of air.

Yes, the humidity does goes down for a few minutes and that is not a huge deal however, you do reduce the "floating" water molecules that helps the chick hatch and if the chick has pipped, the inside of the egg can dry out and the chick can get "stuck" to the egg membrane.

Another factor that I did not mention is that if you open the incubator to help the chick out every so often like you did, there is a fluctuation of temp/humidity that is not good for the other eggs that are due to hatch plus you run the chance of touching the other eggs and disturb them from the actual VERY stressful process of hatching.

I would like you to have the best possible hatch and even though it doesn't seem like it is a major part of the problem, it definatelly doesn't help to the solution. I do not help any chicks hatch for any reason. (even though it is very tempting) I let nature take its course (like Ronda stated) After all, who am I to disrupt something that has been done for many many many years without the help of humans? :)

I hope this helps. :)

Charlie

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.