VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:00:42 03/10/10 Wed
Author: Don
Author Host/IP: 72.86.30.128
Subject: Re: Helping a hatch and bleeding
In reply to: Charlie 's message, "Re: Helping a hatch and bleeding" on 11:19:50 03/07/10 Sun

I know this thread is a few days old but I had a couple of thoughts to share. Firstly, as a general rule I never help chicks hatch. I used to, but don't anymore. the ONLY reason I would help a chick to hatch is if it has gotten glued to the membrane because I had to lift the cover. My hatches usually span 24 hours or so, so it is necessary to lift the lid at least once to remove the first round of chicks. Sometimes there will be one in the process of hatching that gets stuck at this point. This is a result of environmental conditions and does not reflect the strength of the chick. That is the only circumstance that I assist a hatch, and usually the chick has already pecked most of the way around when he gets stuck.

Also note that pipping is not hatching. A chick can take 24 hours or more to start hatching after it has pipped.

I know of several people who regularly hatch BQ eggs standing up in the trays. I have never intentionally done this, but I have done it by accident a few times, and oddly enough, I had 100% hatch of the eggs in the upright position, still in the turner trays, and these were nice chicks, no problems, good fluff and everything.

On a number of occasions, I have been a day or so late in removing the eggs from the turner. The only thing I have noticed is a higher incidence of upside down chicks. In a batch of 50 eggs, I might see 1 or 2 upside down chicks.

During hatching, loss of humidity is more important than loss of heat in my opinion. Low humidity gets chicks stuck, but low heat is temporary. When the chicks get cold they just shut down. When they warm up they pick up where they left off.

That being said, keep the lid on as much as possible, but don't fret if you have to lift it for a valid reason. I have never been a fan of the "float" test or candling, or any other reason to remove perfectly good eggs from the incubator simply for curiosity's sake. Getting off on a tangent there...

Don

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.