VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:34:19 06/03/11 Fri
Author: Nancy
Author Host/IP: 173.210.133.229
Subject: Cockatiel Baby

Well, I have not had the best success in my attempts at semi-natural incubation, but finally something to show for it! It seems perhaps that in mixed clutches, the brown eggs don't get incubated quite as hot - that's my guess anyway. The eggs in this nest were due to hatch May 19, 24, and 31, so not sure if I will get any more as I can't candle well enough to know if what's inside is live. A week or two ago, I candled the parents' own eggs, and as only 2/6 were fertile, I added them to another pair's nest and gave these guys all the brown eggs.

In other news... my white hen is brooding 12 eggs, I believe it is a mixed clutch from all 3 hens, but not sure exactly when she stopped laying, so there may not be any of her own eggs, just from the other two. When she goes off to eat, the red-breast hen will sit a while. My silver pearl got an injury on the back of her head, I am guessing she was told off for trying to do her shift. The white hen was the first to stop laying; the other two stopped a couple days later and there were no new eggs for about a week, but the two have started again. Hopefully the red breast will take over brooding from the white at some point as I am sure at least 4 of the 12 eggs she's on were laid after the white started brooding.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.