VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:31:47 06/07/11 Tue
Author: Nancy
Author Host/IP: 173.210.133.229
Subject: Re: Cockatiel Baby
In reply to: Rhonda 's message, "Re: Cockatiel Baby" on 22:27:15 06/06/11 Mon

I put that baby in my brooder with budgies, and he only lived a day or two. He spent a lot of time chirping and not enough eating & drinking. Poor lonely little guy. :(

The first 4 buttons hatched on Sunday. A red-breast, a maybe-cinnamon, a maybe-silver, and a white.

Things haven't been going smoothly. First, the white male picked up a chick who had wandered only a couple inches from mom and the nest, so I pulled him out. Then I noticed when mom took the 4 out for a walk, she had no idea how to deal with their short, slow legs. The finches were very interested in the new babies and the egg shell:

I was worried mom would wander too far too fast to keep track of them all, and worried about the finches for the first couple days - if they toss their own, they will attack and eat them, and I wasn't sure if newly-hatched buttons might be considered edible. So I put the top of a large budgie cage over mom's corner, covering her, the nest, and a variety of food and water. Everything seemed fine, and she and the chicks settled into the nest with the eggs for the night.

In the morning, she was no longer on the eggs. I walked around to the other side to look for chicks and saw one flop over onto its side - thinking he might have been attacked, I went in to get him. Non-moving day-old yellow button chicks are not easy to find in wood shavings! All 4 chicks were cold, limp, and lying on their sides with feet up. Two had their heads back, taking those last few gasps for breath before the end. I warmed them up in the hopes I might save one.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.