VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:34:04 06/07/11 Tue
Author: Nancy
Author Host/IP: 173.210.133.229
Subject: Re: Cockatiel Baby
In reply to: Nancy 's message, "Re: Cockatiel Baby" on 15:31:47 06/07/11 Tue

Between the brooder (which lost me the original singleton) and fosters, I decided to try a foster family. All 4 were wiggling again by the time I was ready to place them!

The 2 lutino chicks they were fostering have already been pulled for hand-feeding. They had 4 eggs of their own, one dis, one died within a day of hatching, leaving a two-day old chick and one egg left to hatch. Otherwise a pretty bare nest... to which I added 8 button eggs, 4 button chicks, chick feed, hard-boiled egg, and a dish of water with marbles. Fortunately, this is my gentlest pair, so I won't get chewed to bits when I add egg and change the water. Here they are before mom & dad came back home, one day old with their 2-day cockatiel sibling:

And here's how they're getting along with their new parents at 2 days old:

I will give my button hens another chance or two. Of all the birds I've raised, perhaps as many as half my pairs fail their first clutch and go on to be perfectly good parents. The white male, next time, I will remove day before hatch is due, at least for a few days.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.