VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:09:42 08/27/11 Sat
Author: akane
Author Host/IP: 207.32.63.201
Subject: Re: Thinking about getting quail
In reply to: fairywhiz 's message, "Re: Thinking about getting quail" on 20:16:12 08/27/11 Sat

I find chicks are not spooked or stressed by hardly anything. They run away a bit when something looks in the brooder or goes to touch them but they get over it in a few minutes whereas adults can smash themselves to death on the ceiling if they are spooked by something. I would only get adults from a house that has other pets they are used to and I would put the tank on a stand or bookshelf higher than the dog can easily reach.

Adding a light over glass sided cages nearly eliminates panic and boinking because the light reflects off the glass. It's like looking outside in the middle of the night with the house lights on. You can't see anything from the light reflected on the glass with a dark background. I just put an aquarium light on a timer over all my button tanks and I've never had one injure itself and I have cats jumping up around the tanks and dogs looking at them all the time.

Buttons can clear 20' up given the space, I lost one outside once and it spent several days running around on top of the barn, so there is no such thing as boink proof height. Over 2' in an aquarium does seem to limit them though because they can only go straight up so far and then they have to go forward some. They reach the other end of my 90gallon 2' high 4' long tank before they reach the top most of the time. The light over top is more effective than trying to make the pen high enough.

All colors are equally healthy. However if you'd like to see the various colors there are a few sites. Do a search for Garrie Landry or Acadiana Aviaries and you'll find one of the biggest US breeders with some pictures on the site and a book of the genetics of the colors with more pictures of each.

Birds generally don't need yearly checkups unless you really want to do them. It's sometimes more stressful than it's worth and usually only people with expensive parrots take a bird to a vet for checkups when they appear perfectly healthy and sometimes blood tests. To be properly treated you will have to find an avian vet who agrees to see them and they are costly. Some classify them as poultry and tell you to take them to a livestock vet who will usually not have a freaking clue what to do unless he looks it up in a book but he will do it a whole lot cheaper.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.