VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:52:18 02/26/12 Sun
Author: Nancy
Author Host/IP: 173.210.133.229
Subject: Re: male, female ?
In reply to: Chris 's message, "Re: male, female ?" on 06:14:26 02/07/12 Tue

Face markings vary from one colour mutation to another, there are flashy-faced hens and plain-faced males who will confuse things. Blue and red feathers are exclusive to males. Nearly all males have red feathers around the vent - diluted to rust or pink depending on the colour of the bird, beginning if I remember my last batch correctly around 1 month age. Hens never do. Whites, obviously, cannot be sexed by feather colour.

Both males and females call to each other and maybe someone else can give a better explanation of their sounds. The males do a funny chest-puff growly gwrawwww sound.

Females are more likely to poop on you when you check for those red feathers, more likely to eat a mealworm, tend to have rounder (versus on-its-face-D-shaped) eyes. On average females are larger and heavier. There is overlap between smaller hens and larger cocks, and the poop test, mealworm test, and eye-shape test will leave you a small percentage of incorrectly sexed birds.

Once they are breeding, any bird mounting another should be male. Bird on the bottom could be either as submissive males will choose not to compete... it has nothing to do with gay birds, they still prefer the opposite sex if available, it's just a means to avoid fighting.

Once they are laying eggs you can look at the vent to see who's laying. The skin stretches when the egg passes and does not shrink back completely. Point of lay (first egg) for my birds is about 3 months, range 2-4. I would wait a few days to a week after the first egg before checking, then you should see a huge difference between layer & non-layer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.