VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:58:33 03/27/12 Tue
Author: Nancy
Author Host/IP: 64.178.147.45
Subject: Re: Cage advice for quails?
In reply to: Kay 's message, "Cage advice for quails?" on 14:42:21 03/04/12 Sun

I've used a bit of everything, they all have their place, because there is no perfect choice that offers advantages on all levels.

A tank would be the easiest to clean, but probably the hardest to tame them as your approach will always be from the top. I often keep youngsters in a tank as it is good for keeping warm and escape-proof. It gives the best view.

An all-wire cage has the best ventilation, second best view, and is the easiest to keep feet clean, but the surrounding walls and floor will get messy. You'll need to provide a comfortable roost/cozy dish and a dust bath.

Plastic-bottom guinea pig cages (ones with narrow bar spacing) can be a good compromise, with their smooth cleanable bottom that is deep enough to keep (most of) the mess in and still give good ventilation and side access. BIrd cages are okay, but they usually have a pull-out tray for changing newspaper that may not be as good with litter due to not being deep enough. I have found certain individual quail to be very bad at getting dirty feet unless kept with a fairly deep dry litter, and others not a problem on paper.

Outdoor aviaries are not an option most months of the year in my area, but I have an indoor one, which is my favourite place to keep quail.

There are two ways to get tame quail, one is to get immature birds and handle them daily; the other is to hand-feed a special treat - mealworms are ideal, crickets are hard to hold, greenfood is attractive and may also work. Any type of enclosure can work BUT some birds will insist on putting their treat on the ground before eating it, which makes wire-bottom cages a poor choice; and something like an aquarium, or any cage without side access can be difficult if your quail are not outgoing, as approach from the top can intimidate some quail.

Covering them with a towel at night I have not tried. I would suspect you will get boinking and possible injuries every morning and evening. I would not expect it to 100% keep them quiet. Unless you are very sensitive to noise, you will get used to their noise and sleep through it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.