VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:55:12 05/20/12 Sun
Author: Chris
Author Host/IP: 74.51.56.236
Subject: Re: Egg bound death
In reply to: Julie 's message, "Egg bound death" on 18:06:14 05/18/12 Fri

Dear Julie,
So sorry to hear about your loss, many of us can relate to the pain you are feeling. Please do not blame yourself or place this heavy guilt on your shoulders...its so common to put ourselves on this pass when something we care so much about dies. One thing I do know from what you said here is that you loved your little quail very much it that means alot. Egg issues are so difficult with the girls at times. Calcium supplementation is crucial but sometimes they still have egg issues even with the supplements. I give my birds oystershell, crushed clean eggs shells and sometimes a vitamin/calcium supplement in their water or food. Its hard when they do get eggbound...any female, especially one that is laying eggs who appears off/puffed out etc. should be put into a hospital cage and the temperature brought up to 85 to 90 degrees if you can...a moist towel on the bottom to add moisture is sometimes recommended. Sometimes this will help the hen pass the egg, sometimes not. All we can do overall is to keep a variety of calcium supplements and good food available...I give my quail(besides the regular diet) crumbled boiled egg yolk, mealworms, romaine lettuce etc almost everyday to help keep them built up and replace the nutrients that are depleted from their constant egg laying. Again, I am very sorry for your loss and it is unfortunately a common problem with the girls.

Chris

P.S. Hope you are able to find another little quail someday...I have a dozen eggs in the incubator due to hatch in a few days, can't wait :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.