VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:02:12 07/01/14 Tue
Author: Faerie Finch
Author Host/IP: 174.22.169.55
Subject: Re: feeding
In reply to: Dennis 's message, "feeding" on 20:31:54 05/08/14 Thu

No, they are like chickens and ducks. They feed themselves. But have to be shown how to. I would remove them from the parents, put them in a warm box under a heat lamp. Number one is a very shallow lid for a water dish. I use half gatoraide or pedialyte, half water. I dip the tip of their beak in it so they get a taste. I put down a paper towel with a shallow food dish in the center and sprinkle ground up game bird crumble around the dish and in the dish. Start by tapping your finger around and in the food…. like the parents peck at the food. They chicks will eventually come see what you are doing and mimic. Once they are eating well, just fill up the food dish and they will continue to eat on their own.
Just make sure the food is ground up into tiny pieces they are able to handle. I use a coffee grinder. Half kitten chow, half gamebird crumble. After a week I add fine chopped hard boiled egg with the shells ground up. After a couple weeks I start adding greens and such too. They also like fine shredded cheese and small bugs, like crickets or meal worms.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.