VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:35:53 06/11/08 Wed
Author: Trina
Author Host/IP: 86.147.240.76
Subject: Re: Straddle Leggs
In reply to: Daren Wilson / LBs Quail Ranch 's message, "Re: Straddle Leggs" on 17:22:47 06/10/08 Tue

Sorry to hear your little straddle chick died. The hatching out of the wrong end of the egg thing isn't normally good. When they first pip they pip internally into the air sac before they pip externally through the shell, so they start to breath oxygen from the air sac before making the external pip. It's crucial the chick gets oxygen at this point to have enough strength to hatch. I think from something I read (Although I can't find the link now because my PC is away for repair) that sometimes this is caused by humidity issues during incubation. If the humidity is too high then not enough moisture is lost from the egg during the incubation period & the air sac is too small, if the chick pips below the air sac it gets confused & positions itself wrongly to try again. I'm not sure if this is 100% correct because I also read that hatching from the wrong end can be caused by either the eggs being turned too close to the hatch or by the eggs being placed pointed end up in the incubator. But I usually just lay them on their side. So I'm not quite sure why some chicks hatch out of the wrong end of the egg, but needless to say it wasn't a great start for the poor fellow, he sounded very weak. Maybe there could also have been genetic issues somewhere too.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.